cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syclo + SMP 3.0 - benefits for customers?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!

As far as I understood Syclo has it's strength in fields and assets management, for blue collar workers, which normally use devices which are rugged devices - which are normally windows mobile/CE devices or like bar code scanners - and not that iPhone/iPad-type apps.

It has four apps SAP Work Manager, SAP Inventory Manager, SAP Rounds Manager and SAP Service Manager:

http://scn.sap.com/community/mobile/blog/2013/02/22/how-syclo-fitting-in-saps-mobile-strategy

But you can also develop you own app.

And those apps are all running in the native "Syclo Agentry" app - because when I look for the SAP Workmanager App in Apple app store - I don't see this app. When I look at the supported devices for each of those apps, the SAP Syclo Rounds Manager or Inventory Manager only support windows devices? Why?

Inventory Manager:

https://store.sap.com/sap/cp/ui/resources/store/html/SolutionDetails.html?pid=0000009250&pcntry=US&s...

Rounds Manager:

https://store.sap.com/sap/cp/ui/resources/store/html/SolutionDetails.html?pid=0000009251&pcntry=US&s...

And from the overview here I see that you need one syclo server per app:

http://scn.sap.com/community/mobile/blog/2013/11/04/difference-between-sup-21x-versions-and-smp-30

But since Syclo is integrated in SMP 2.3 and now in SMP 3.0 - it seems rather expensive to licence the whole platform just to get an Agentry Server. And you need a whole SMP 3.0 for every Syclo app.

How long will you get Syclo Agentry without SMP?

What are the real benefits for new/existing customers?

That blog post is a bit too much technical details:

http://scn.sap.com/people/jemin.tanna/blog/2013/10/11/syclo-on-other-side-of-afterburns-of-smp30

As I've seen in the SMP Roadmap, it is planned to use OData instead of Syclo Smart data model, HTTP Rest transport protocol and Backend Integration via OData. Is this really the case?

Syclo apps don't look like "modern/cool" apps, but maybe with the Open UI this would be possible?

So to sum it up:

SMP 3.0 with its OData and SAPUI5 app builder is for modern phones/desktops.

Syclo will continue to support ruggedized devices, is for B2E only.

Any other inputs are appreciated! Many thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Denise,

Inventory Manager and Rounds are currently available for Windows only because that is what they were originally developed for.  We are in the process of creating the Apple/Android versions right now.

You commented that:

Syclo apps don't look like "modern/cool" apps, but maybe with the Open UI this would be possible?

To sum it up:

SMP 3.0 with its OData and SAPUI5 app builder is for modern phones/desktops.

Syclo will continue to support ruggedized devices, is for B2E only.

Here is how I would respond:  Agentry was never intended to be a cutting edge modern UI interface builder, but a serviceable UI experience that required no code to be written by the application designer.  The thought process for the older underpowered mobile rugged devices was "less is more" when it came to UI.  Regardless of how it is now being marketed, Agentry's value to SAP is not necessarily in its ability for customers to extend the existing field service applications, but for them to possess a quick to production, excellent return on investment mobile platform for developing applications from scratch.

Much of the Platform Development here in Chicago over the past few years has been centered around creating the Apple/Android Agentry Clients and giving them a polished look.  Now the thinking has changed from "less is more" to "more is a must have" as smart phones and tablets have become fast enough to handle advanced UI.  With the coming Open UI capabilities of SMP 3.0, designers will be able to add silly animated spinning gifs or whatever else constitutes a "modern/cool" UI interface these days.  I can confirm some very impressive Open UI GIS Map integration coming soon to the existing Agentry products.

Look for the latest versions of Work Manager and Service Manager for Apple/Android/Windows out soon, looking better than they ever have on all supported platforms.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

Hi Jason

By when will SMP version 3.0 be released? We are currently implementing a mobile approver application for a client using Syclo but the client is very unhappy with the limitations of the GUI. is there any other tool we can use till the SMP 3.0 is released. Pls let me know.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

From my point of view - i would totally implement everything with OData in the SAP NetWeaver Gateway and then - choose whatever UI technology I want - whether it is a self developed native application or something with with SAPUI5 installed on the SAP NetWeaver Gateway. OData will be the main protocol of accessing all relevant SAP data. The OData approach works also with SMP 2.3 -> SAP mostly uses OData for their productivity apps.

From a Fiori perspective I've seen that there is a "template" for a workflow approval:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f0ab2463-4e16-3110-b08e-d93918e51...

Adding custom workflow scenarios to

the SAP Fiori Approve Requests in 5 steps

But SAP Fiori doesn't need the SMP, and would not benefit from it at the moment. Fiori will benefit from the SAP Fiori Client, but I don't think that this supports custom SAPUI development at the moment.

If you are developing OData, you can start small with the SAP NetWeaver Gateway, and if you then need the specific features of the SAP Mobile Platform (like push notifications for example) then you can consider it. Since Syclo is integreated into the SMP 3.0 it seems a future safe approach from my side.

This is my personal view from a developer perspective (OData, SAPUI5, SMP), didn't get my hands on Syclo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Starting SMP 3, Agentry has OpenUI, which lets a developer create native os code to change the look and feel of the application screens and buttons.

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Manmeet,

Pretty sure you can get your hands on a ramp-up version of SMP 3.0 now.  We hosted an OpenUI demo yesterday and had a great turn out of maybe 60 attendees online.  I will post a link shortly to this presentation, showing some complex and flashy UI integrated with Agentry via the new OpenUI platform extensibility.

I am curious -  What was the customer looking to do with the UI that wasn't possible in Agentry?

Jason Latko - Senior Product Developer at SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve / Jason,

It will be really interesting to see the possibilities with OpenUI. From what I understood so far (mainly reading the SMP 3.0 manual on the Sybase docs website) is that you can only use it for changing the look and feel of the configured controls in Agentry. But you are still bound by the notion of list and detail screens?

Cheers

Denis

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Denis,

Not true on only extending controls.  From what I have seen with the GIS OpenUI demo the guys here have done, they are passing location info back and forth between Agentry and a GIS map that they have embedded into an Agentry detail screen, showing markers for the technicians daily work, then leveraging the GIS functionality to provide turn by turn directions to a marker, etc...  They have in effect built an entirely new user interface on the GIS side that can communicate back to Agentry and kick off Actions when desired, say to create a new work order from a position on the GIS map.  I envision you being able to create an entirely custom list or tile view using the native UI of your device and having it communicate back to the Agentry data store to create and manipulate object data as you see fit.  The possibilities are limited only by your imaginition.

Edit: I don't think they are to the point yet where the OpenUI extensions can communicate with or access the Agentry data store directly, but that is coming next.  For now, data is passed as parameters to the extended UI controls.

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Whether it was a webinar ? When the recorded session will be available? How to get invitations to such demos?

- Midhun VP

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Midhun,

I replied to you directly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jason,

I would like to follow Midhun's example and ask you where I could find the recorded seminars and how to get invited to these in future.

I am currently working for a customer who is one of your SMP 3.0 ramp-up customers.We are looking into migration of Agentry 5.X to version 7.0 with extension to iOS devices and possibly utilising OpenUI along the way. It would be nice to see what this can do in real life.

Appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Frank

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Frank,

Since SMP 3.0 is still in ramp up and not yet officially released, OpenUI information is not yet readily available to non-SAP employees.  As soon as I get more information or documents or links that are able to be shared, I will post them on my OpenUI Blog here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

I believe that multiple agentry applications can now run on a single SMP server from SMP 3.0.
Is that true?

Kind Regards,
Catherine.

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No for now. It would be possible in future versions. I am not sure about which SP level it is.

Midhun VP

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I've been told that running multiple Agentry applications on one SMP 3 server is being targeted for SP04 but as always it is subject to change.

--Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jason, thanks for your insights - could you please share the link to the webinar?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

If available now, request you to share any such user/how to guides for open(GIS as an example)?

Thanks,

Jilan

pvannest
Participant
0 Kudos

Jason,

I'm struggling with the idea behind the openui possibility in syclo.

When you use openui to build a native part within a syclo application (for instance for gis integration), you loose the concept of "design once, run anywhere". At that time, aren't you investing (too) much time in the integration of the two technologies, and would it not be better to choose for custom development in this case (hybrid kapsel, native, ...)?

Of course, if there is a standard app from syclo which covers 90% of the requirements of the customer, i understand openui could be used to cover everything. But using syclo for custom development and openui for creating a "cool" user interface, seems overkill to me.

Any thoughts on this?

thanks

Peter

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Peter,

Keep in mind that with Agentry, you are automatically inheriting out of the box:

• A mature client/server transmit communications system for moving data between the client, SMP Server and whatever backend system you choose
  • built in complex business logic handling capabilities for controlling the application flow on the client
  • offline support for accessing large volumes of data on the client
  • automatic updating of newer application definitions to connecting clients, etc...

All this and more you get for free, along with a serviceable UI experience geared towards rapidly developing streamlined mobile applications on multiple client platforms with one code base.

Is it worth using Agentry and OpenUI if you plan to completely change the look and feel of the Agentry UI wherever possible?  Probably not, and this is not what OpenUI is intended to do.  This is still possible if the built-in benefits of Agentry warrant it for a large-scale, complex application and you don't want to reinvent some of the wheel with using Kapsel hybrid or stricly native code as the parent engine.  I agree with you that OpenUI is geared more towards adding a few bells/whistles to an application that cannot be accomplished with the current UI, or to interface with other native apps on the device.  It really depends on your application's requirements.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thread is now locked to prevent hijacking/necromancy.

Regards, Mike (Moderator)

SAP Technology RIG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are mograting our SMP platform from SMP 2.3 to SMP 3.0. Our main objective is to improve the user frienedliness of our field service applications (done on Agentry) by using Agentry+Open UI capabilities.

The issue is that we do not have a clear view of the Open UI mixed wih Agentry un term of user experiance.

Can we have access to real use cases and example of application whre the Agentry/Open UI is used and also have a clear view of the limitation that are persistant?

Thank you for your help

Former Member
0 Kudos

This thread is already been close. please create a new thread.

Ajitesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here I found an interesting link, got today an email from the SAP Partner DACH University - the Product Roadmap for Syclo for the next 18 month:

SAP Roadmap Syclo

So for all new "apps" - you need the SMP 2.3. And they will be released in November.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denise,

Yes Agentry apps don't look like "modern/cool" apps, but you develop once and you can deploy the app to all of the mobile platforms. A B2E application doesn't have to be cool. Maintenance, support and development budget is more important than the interface. And also offline capabilities and push feature is a gift, because you don't do anything for these features.

Deploying the app and publishing the changes of app is  also very easy.

That's why we'll keep on building apps for Agentry,

But in SMP 3.0, it would be better if there is

a wizard to create classes for stephandler, steplet, objects class,

installing more than one agentry client to a device,

more UI features.

We're happy to hear about the Open UI feature,  we're also thinking about if this feature will  cause any side effects?

Former Member
0 Kudos

"installing more than one agentry client to a device"

Been possible for a long time, windows, just install to a different folder, iOS-The client would be needed to be branded, Android- Again would need to be branded