cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build a system with - system copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are in SAP Netweaver 7.01, Oracle 10g2 under windows 2003.

Is it possible to build a system with database backup(online or offline)?

The situation is I am having PRD database backup(PRD system crashed) and put the database in QA system.

Then change QA to PRD.

It is like my QA became PRD.

If yes,please let me know the steps.

Best Regards

Satya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

The situation is I am having PRD database backup(PRD system crashed) and put the database in QA system.

If there is no possibility to bring back the original production system then it would be better setting up a new system and restoring the database there.

Renaming a test system to production will take a long time. As this is a Windows system you will need to consider the services running at the OS level.

If I were you I would install a new system and restore the database the production database there.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

Yes, As per Reagan suggestion it is true, then the better option is new system build and restore.

BR,

Prabhakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Reagan,

Why "Renaming a test system to production will take a long time" ? rather then new installation and restore database.

Will renaming tool with change OS level service also?

Please guide me.

Best Regards
Satya

We are having only ABAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Satya,

After any system copy from Prod to Quality  you need to run the list of  Post steps before the system is usable to the end users ( BDLS, Restoring RFCs.. etc )   These steps will take time depending on the size & complexity of your systems.

You can refer to the timelines of your last Quality refresh for some idea and if its your first time then be prepared for unforeseen issues too. 

Regards,

Mudasir.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you read the comments that were posted by me and what all suits you and you would be the right person to think how much time will it take.

So just set all the points in an excel sheet and then think time that is required by your team to complete the above activity.

Take a note that the system copy and Install will take time as you will be running the SWPM for both the cases but all the thing that will matter will be the other steps that nee to be performed by you as per the config. Hope that you have instance profile so that you can get the memory and system parameters.

For system copy you just need to have the database directly installed for production(Either fresh server or Qua)

For install you will have to run the install first and then do the restore of the database

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Why "Renaming a test system to production will take a long time" ? rather then new installation and restore database.

When doing a normal system refresh you restore the production database to the test environment and rename the database to the test SID.

Here you are renaming the Test system to the Production Database SID.

There will plenty of references to the SID of the test system at the OS level and possibly in the registry as well.

Will renaming tool with change OS level service also?

The SAP System Rename tool should do the work.

But I am not sure how effective and quick the tool will be on Windows machines and whether it will take care of all the registry and services renaming.

The reason why I suggested to install a new system is that you will not lose the test environment.

This will let you test before you transport the developments into the production.

If there is no test system and is the development team wants to transport certain developments then you are at risk.

If there any additional or external interfaces connected to this system then you will need to modify those as well to point to the test server.

Also once you want to move the production system back to the old setup you will need to do a back and restore again and set up the system again.

At that time you will have an additional task to re-create the test environment.

These are the constraints that I see. Maybe they are not for you.

Good Luck

RB

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes you can, Change the QA to PRD with rename tool. This is like system clone....

Follow the link for system rename.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-48695

If it is ABAP + Java then,

ABAP : DB backup required

Java : FS backup means (Export with sapinst and then import with sapinst)

BR,

Prabhakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If this an ABAP system that you can do it using offline backup or online backup+archive logs.

If it is an abap+java system you need export + backup.

But now the question come to

Then change QA to PRD.

It is like my QA became PRD.

But you can do it if you have to check the following scenario.

Do you have same capacity ,same os patch and same kernel(Usually kernel and OS patch are same)

How are you going to do the network translation.

Do you use any DNS or host file entries. is this Nw system connected to any other system.

Do you have interface partners send you the file or data or idoc. Do they sent the file or data using ip address or the host name.

getting the same SID is not only the thing you need to get look network ,capacity and filewall also in to consideration.

Thanks

RishI abrol

former_member183107
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes I think you can go with the restore of the backup of prod on quality.

Did you took the export of the PRD or the database backup?

Because then only the steps will be determined.

Regards,

Himanshu