cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDI process to understand

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have just stepped into doors of EDI implementation.
Myself as a newbie has lots of inquisitive and curious questions from you all genuine experts.
Truly speaking, at present i am not even aware of exact scenario for our case so i take a hypothetical scenario.

Company XYZ is a leading FMCG with numerous sale outlets in domestic and has a tremendous expansion in retail business throughout the globe.
Particularly for international business (retail),the company is willing to put up EDI considering huge number of growing orders.

Process  :Company XYZ in country Singapore has six retail malls where they sell products. Unique process common to all expected is
--------

1.Purchase order generated at mall.
2.Source A , destination B points established with secured AS2 protocol for file transfer to ensure encryption and security
  for file transport
3.File received in decrypted format as we have digital certificate exchange between partners for decryption/encryption in destination.
4.Middleware XI used to read this file and post as a sale order referring details of PO.
5.Acknowledgement would go to customer. Using public key encryption of acknowledgement would happen.

My doubts revolve around these 5 basic points.

Point 1 is clear and has no scope of doubt.

Point 2 : Is it possible that we get information of purchase in idoc format and not file format and new information for saleorder is derived from idoc itself ?.ie can it be idoc-idoc scenario and not file-idoc because file should ideally be used if supplier uses third party databases in my opinion.
Taking possibility that if we get file using ANSI or X.12 ie american standard or even any hybrid format then in order to convert same we would need some XI addon as adapter to read such format which we need to purchase

AS2 also we need to purchase which i think is a costly affair.

Point 3: no doubt.

Point 4: How we will do mapping of product codes. Will other company share their product code and information with us or keep it confidential by involving any other trusted middleware service. Our product code will be different and mall product code will be different.
If say it comes to do business with 60 customers then how so much mapping will be possible.

Point 5:Acknowledgement send will be of file or sale order wrt to purchase order. How will that be achieved. Is it mandatory to involve XI.

I hope by know you are aware so many things have come to my mind so i will be highly thankful and obliged if some one can actually elaborate on
how they manage vast business using EDI. Kindly give a detailed response. Full points guaranteed.

I will be also thankful if someone could advise to post my doubts in more relevant area either of this website or any other.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

Please find the comments on your doubt--

Point 1 is clear and
has no scope of doubt.

Point 2 : Is it
possible that we get information of purchase in idoc format and not file format
and new information for saleorder is derived from idoc itself ?.ie can it be
idoc-idoc scenario and not file-idoc because file should ideally be used if
supplier uses third party databases in my opinion.

Taking possibility that if we get file using ANSI or X.12 ie american standard
or even any hybrid format then in order to convert same we would need some XI
addon as adapter to read such format which we need to purchase

AS2 also we need to
purchase which i think is a costly affair.

--->You can transfer any type of file (XML, flat file, IDOC
etc.) in encrypted and secure format. The message format is depending on your
system A and B in between you will have the communication. SAP is giving the B2B
adapter (AS2 adapter on extra licensing cost) and you have the pre delivered
SAP content which include standard IDOC to standard EDI transformation
(mapping) and vice versa.

Point 3: no doubt.

Point 4: How we will
do mapping of product codes. Will other company share their product code and
information with us or keep it confidential by involving any other trusted
middleware service. Our product code will be different and mall product code
will be different.

If say it comes to do business with 60 customers then how so much mapping will
be possible.

---> PI (XI) is used as middleware and it transform and
delivered the message from A system to B system (and vice versa). Master data
(Product codes etc) you need to maintain in both the system. You can have different
code for one product, in this case PI can convert the source code to target
code (value mapping).

Point 5:Acknowledgement send will be of file or sale order wrt to purchase order. How
will that be achieved. Is it mandatory to involve XI.

---> In B2B communication (AS2 adapter) you will receive the
message dispatch notification (MDN). You have configuration in PI that you do
not need to refer message (MDN) to PI.

I hope this will help.

Regards,

Harish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Harish,

The role of PI would be to read EDI file or any hybrid format file and post it as idoc.Any Third party service provider which could do same or some additional software?

If both side maintains master as you told,in that case if updation happen on prime end,how will it be reflected in secondary end.

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

Please find the answers

The role of PI would be to read EDI file or any hybrid format file and post it as idoc.Any Third party service provider which could do same or some additional software?

--> you can do this by SAP B2B addon. So PI can read the EDI file and can do the conversion of EDI flat to EDI XML and vice versa.

If both side maintains master as you told,in that case if updation happen on prime end,how will it be reflected in secondary end.

--> you need one interface which sync the master data from master system to secondary system.

Regards,

Harish

rcsegovia
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You can start reading that link:

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/bpxproj/EDI+with+PI

good luck,

Roberto.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kindly elaborate if someone has worked on EDI