cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual directory server setup, not accessing LDAP data source

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I've followed the instructions in the document below, to integrate SAP NetWeaver Identity Management's Virtual Directory Server (VDS) and User Management Engine (UME).

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/00db1d7c-b03d-2e10-5a83-efe6ab99a...

I have had success in configuring the VDS to connect with the Identity Center using the template mentioned. The VDS did display the tree values of the Identity Center as expected.

However, using JXplorer I wasn't able to successfully perform a search based on the instructions. I did make many changes to see if JXplorer needed some other inputs but no luck.

Even though I didn't successfully complete a search I continue with configuring the data source in the UME. I uploaded the template and configured the LDAP settings, and the connection test was successful.

The next step was to perform a search for users in the UME using the LDAP connection that was just setup. However, as you can see from the screenshot below I'm not given the option of choosing a data source and although it says 'All data sources' none of the LDAP user are returned in the search.

The help I'm hoping to get is to understand how to perform a search using JXplorer, and why I don't get an option to search for LDAP users in the UME?

Thanks, Paul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Can you check the host name / IP address you have given for the LDAP Server field.

The IP address/host name should be of the server name on which VDS is running.

Thanks,

Krishna.

keith_zhang
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

Sorry that just noticed you also mentioned the connection test, please verify them again as above. If no problem, have you also performed a whole AS Java system restart afterwards(also mentioned in the guide)?

BR, Keith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the feedback. I did attempt a Java system restart but have run into a problem and the Java system won't restart now. I get this in the error message:

com.sap.engine.frame.serviceException: Start of UME service failed. Check help topic "start of UME service Failed: No connection to the ldap server: [servername:port#] cause connection refused: connect RootCase:Connection refused: connect

So, I'm now working with the basis team on a resolution. Any input on this message and next steps would be appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

keith_zhang
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

The AS Java failed to start up because the UME service cannot connect to the configured ldap server. Please try checking the ldap settings in Configtool then:

Configuring the UME Offline to Use an LDAP Directory:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/37/cfd93f130f9115e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

Editing UME Properties offline:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/a2/03aa3d5acd40f082db65ee59c360b7/content.htm

Please refer to above URLs according to your AS Java version.

BR, Keith

keith_zhang
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

If you still can not change the data source when searching in UME, it may be caused by that the datasource cannot be connected successfully. Please check in configuration > LDAP server > button 'validate Configuration' or 'test connection' may for different versions, and see if the connection test is successful?

If it is not successful, please verify:

- 'Server Name' and 'Server Port' are correctly defined?(the server where the VDS configuration is running, and the port number where this VDS configuration is started. Make sure the server name can be resolved correctly from the AS Java server, or try to use correct IP address)

- The relevant VDS configuration is up and running without issues?(verify from the VDS console)

- All the other connection pool and cache settings as described in section 'Configuring the LDAP server data' of the guide.

For the JXplorer tool, please also verify the same connection setting for above point 1, and then also test if you have tried to set a 'size limit' for testing(avoid of timeout)? If still the error, could you post a screenshot for the error details? And also, have you tested with other ldap client tools, eg: LDP?

BR, Keith