cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWBC HTML from with in Portal?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are currently working on an enterprise-wide Portal face lift project by upgrading to NW 704 and ECC EhP7. We plan to adopt all the latest HR Renewal WDABAP together with the SAPUI5 Landing Page applications for ESS, MSS and HR Professional.

AIM : We would want to keep the enterprise portal intact and not use NWBC as we have heterogeneous systems related to Finance, BI and PI related stuff accessed via portal.

But according to SAP NOTE   1876899 - Browser Information for HR Renewal 1.0

PA/OM MasterData

Enterprise portal is not supported. The landing pages and all applications can also be accessed directly via Browser URL. This is an option for testing phases. For productive usage, this has the following restrictions:
- no log-off feature
- sessions would be kept until automated log-out
- no accessibility options in shell dialogue
- no language settings in shell dialogue
- no easy theming
Thus, we only recommend this environment for project implementation and testing phases. Theoretically, it could be deployed also for productive usage for end users, but customers would have to solve the named restrictions themselves.

This is disappointing and leaves us thinking what does one do who want to take advantage of the delivered Landing pages from within the enterprise portal.

Do you have any recommendations that you can make here?

Option 1: Launch these landing page applications from within portal UI5 iView, but the systems are going to be available only starting 1/1/2014 after upgrade.

Option 2 : Can I launch NWBC for HTML from within Enterprise portal?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Srikanth

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183060
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Srikanth,

Please note that to embed NWBC into a portal is not supported in certain cases, please see point 5 from section Retrictions in the following Note:

1620576 - NWBC for HTML: Prerequisites and restrictions

Best regards

Melinda

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

dshanahan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Srikanth-

If you get a chance please recheck OSS note 1876899.  It was updated January 14, 2014, and HR Renewal is supported within the Enterprise Portal.  The note now states, "HR Renewal 1.0 (EA-HR 607 SP14) supports NWBC 4.0 as well as Enterprise  Portal (Refer SAP Note: 1701634). Enterprise Portal does not support the Golden Reflection theme  used by the lanes. The Golden Reflection theme should be passed as a URL parameter in the SAP UI5 iView configuration."

The note goes on to say that when calling the HR Professional role directly in the browser you must solve the issues like no logout feature and session management.

Thanks,

Dave

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srikanth Chandroo wrote:

NW 704 and ECC EhP7

You probably mean NW74 as in NetWeaver 7.4?

Option 1: Launch these landing page applications from within portal UI5 iView, but the systems are going to be available only starting 1/1/2014 after upgrade.

I don't really understand the question but yes you could configure the application inside the portal UI5 iView but I would just have it as an external URL because you will need all the available real estate on screen and there are some known restrictions with the portal UI5 iView implementation.

Option 2 : Can I launch NWBC for HTML from within Enterprise portal?  

Sure you can just like any other application. Just make sure the external URL is launched as external, not as an IFrame inside the portal.

If you choose to implement the Landing Page together with Portal, the Portal is simply a place for storing the link to launch the Landing Page.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Samuli,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I see that I was not clear enough in my questions.

Yes I was referring to configuring the landing page as an application inside the Portal UI5 iView, but the known restrictions would be the ones mentioned in the NOTE 1876899 as below :

no log-off feature

- sessions would be kept until automated log-out

- no accessibility options in shell dialogue

- no language settings in shell dialogue

- no easy theming

Right?

Do we have any other better way of consuming UI5 landing pages from within the portal so that full screen real estate on the screen can be used?

Is Web page composer(WPC) an option to launch the landing page as URL iView web page?

I understand that with Web Page Composer (WPC), one can easily create and manage SAP NetWeaver Portal content and pages that combine business applications, web content, and documents. At the same time, governance tools ensure the quality of the user-generated content.

So I am unsure if a SAPUI5 application can be launched as a web page.

Is there anyone already who has found a way of solving the above restrictions and was able to take advantage of the landing pages with in enterprise portal?

If the restrictions cannot be solved we are also open to develop our own custom landing page from within the portal. Does portal provide such level of html5, css3 and jquery handling tools is the question that crops up?

In a nutshell, we cannot let go of our portal investments, given that we would want to take advantage of the HTML5 technologies to enhance the overall UX. And there isn't seem to be a clear pathway to it though until what I have found out in my research.

Let me know your thoughts in this direction.

Thanks,
Srikanth