Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaRM for BW Landscapes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

To implement ChaRM on a BW landscape one needs to take note of the following:

My understanding is that BW has a very particular design procedure, requiring transports to be released (when export timestamp is set) in
the following sequence:

1. ALL ECC Components first, then
  2. BW Components (Info Areas, Info ObjectLog, Info Objects), then
  3. Info Providers (Info Cubes, Multi Providers, Info Sets, Data Store Objects, Info Cube Aggregates),then
  4. Rules, then
  5. Process Chains, then
  6. Reports/Queries

ChaRM (as far as I know) determines transport sequence purely based on export timestamp, so if a developer releases the transport containing his Query first (should have been last, if the sequence above is correct), then ChaRM will take it into Production first too, resulting in an error.  Is my assessment correct?

If so, then my process has to either cater for manual sequencing, or else we have to move to SP10 where they can selectively import transports to
suit BW’s required sequence. Am I correct?

Any comments welcome!

Regards

Rob

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Rob

this is a much awaited feature and mentioned in SP10 documentation that it is now possible to do a selective import

Selective import of changes

New

You can define which transport requests or changes should be imported into a follow-on system, based on settings in Customizing. For example, you can manually exclude transport requests from an import.

Status-Dependent Import and Selective Import of Transport Requests

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm71_sp10/helpdata/en/f9/5256252c7a48a5ab850d92328d5156/content.htm

Regards

Prakhar

Vivek_Hegde
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

That's a very good question ! As per my experience with ChaRM so far, while importing the Transports using ChaRM the Solution Manager picks up the release sequence of Transports to perform imports in target systems.  The sequence of releasing the Transports is left to Developer discretion here since the system can not dictate what should go first.

May be SP10 might have some answers for here but I would like to here expert opinion from others on this.

Regards,

Vivek