cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BO XI R2 compatibility with Oracle 11g database

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wanted to know if BO XI R2 is compatible with Oracle 11g database. Recently our database was migrated from oracle version 10 to 11g. But when I configured BO XI R2 application to point to new database, I am getting an error saying "Plugin WindowsNT doesn't exist". Can anyone tell me what does this error mean?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nishmitha,

You will have problems since XIR2 and XI 3.1 DOES NOT support 64bit CMS & Audit Databases and BI 4.x requires 64bit database.  You will be have be very carefully what Oracle Client is used to connect.  You will also have to find a version that is supported by XIR2 / XI3.x / BI 4.x

XIR2 supports 10.2 (32bit), see below

XI 3.1 w/ SP6 also support 10.2 (32bit) & 11.2 (32bit)

BI 4.0 w/ SP5+ Support 10.2 (64bit) & 11.2 (64bit)

Your best choice would be to install XIR2 & XI 3.1 on 10.2 (32bit) and BI 4.x on 11.2 (64bit).  You will NOT be able to install ALL the CMS & AUDIT on ONE database because of 32/64bit issues.

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ajay, That was noted on Nov 22 already.

Former Member
0 Kudos

is totally right - check the platforms documents.

Can you explain if the actual error message is "The plugin secWindowsNT.auth does not exist"?

And at what point do you see this? You say "point the application" is this in the CCM when you want to migrate your repostory to the new 11G database?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actual error message is "Plugin Manager error: Unable to locate the requested plugin secWindowsNT on the server".

I get this error when I try to login to Infoview.

I meant migrating the repository to new 11G database in CCM of my application server by "point the application".

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks. Ok, forget Infoview for a moment, and try to log on to the CMC. Now make sure to use "enterprise" as your authentication mechanism and logon as the actual 'administrator'. Does that work?

If so, go to CMC>Authentication>WindowsNT and hit 'update' do you get any errors?

BTW - do you mean "update data source settings" as the option in the CCM? If not can you send us a screenshot of that step?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't know the administrator credentials to login to CMC. So I cannot login to CMC as well.

In CCM, I am selecting 'specify CMS data source' option and then selecting 'select a Data source'. Then I chose Oracle Native Driver from the list of connection methods and provided credentials to connect to new database(Oracle 11g).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for explaining - so the CMS database is now on Oracle 11G, which is supported in BOXIr2 - however only from a higher servicepack. Do you know what version BOXIr2 you are on.

If you dont have administrator access to the CMC, I'm stuck. Can you get in contact who has that access? Otherwise we're just guessing what could be going on.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our BO version is BO XI R2 SP2.

I can login to CMC with administrator account now. But I cannot login to Infoview with administartor account. When I try to login to Infoview with guest account with enterprise authentication, it gives me different error saying "License key is invalid or has expired..."

Former Member
0 Kudos

The message says it all. The BOXI license has expired (or is not in the system) and you can only use the administrator account to enter a new one. The only tool you can enter a new keycode is the CMC. So, go to the CMC log in administrator and look at the licenses section (right hand side). Is there a keycode shown? Then it has a date below it when it expired.

Is there no keycode shown then you may be looking at a blank system database (of which I'm afraid as this would also explain your original plugin error). Go back to CMC > Objects & Folders and check if your documents are still there. Or, go to users & groups and check if your users are still there.

Let us know how you get on.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for the quick response.

I checked in CMC and I am not able to see license keycode. It is blank. Also Objects, Folders, Users and Groups are all empty. I can see only Administrator and Guest under Users. Please advise.

Also please let me know where the license key will be stored. I am afraid that DB team has crashed the license key if it is stored in database.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ah, the penny just dropped: you said before "In CCM, I am selecting 'specify CMS data source' option and then selecting 'select a Data source'". This process means that yuo have told the CMS that from now on, it should no longer read and write to the previous database, but should now use this new database location. Of course, this is fine - as long as you realize this will be an empty database. As the CMS starts, it will create the necessary tables and some default users (like the administrator, which now no longer has a password).

So you want your old data back? Then I hope the old Oracle 10 database is still running. Go to CCM > Specifiy CMS data source > Sleect copy datasource. Now enter the details of the old Oracle 10 schema for the source and the new Oracle 11 schema for the destination and a few minutes later (depending on the size of your database) your data will have been transferred. Restart your CMS and login again with your old user administrator password and you should see the old data.

Does that work?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bugger - just checked http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/communitycs/TechnicalPapers/boe_xi_r2_supported_platfor...and Oracle 11G is NOT listed as a supported CMS database. So first update your BO system. If you go to the SAP Marketplace, download

ENTERPRISEA06P_0-20008636.EXEBusinessObjects Enterprise XI R2A Service Pack 6 Patch

to get SP6 for XIr2 and install that first. Do the copy of the database later.

Also note that BOXIr2 is no longer under support with SAP. So make some plans to migrate to BI4.1 sometime soon. Real soon.

krscheffler
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Nishmitha,

Compatibility information can be found in the Product Availability Matrix: http://service.sap.com/pam.  You will need a S-user ID to access.

In the future, if you have questions about BI Platform, please post them here: http://scn.sap.com/community/bi-platform

Thank you,

Kristen