cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After password is reset in windows user gets "MMC has detected an error in snap-in" when opening Identity Center MMC

Former Member
0 Kudos

After password is reset in windows user gets "MMC has detected an error in snap-in" when opening Identity Center MMC. Can someone help identify and fix this issue please.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Ckumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Even I am getting the same error as IT Admin team changed the password of user1990 which I used to earlier. It is working fine when I am accessing the server using other credentials like <SID>adm user.

Any idea how to fix this error.

Regards,

C Kumar

jrondorf
Participant
0 Kudos

Are you able to recreate the connection in MMC to the database? If not, i guess you need to have to delete the XML file in the root of the install directory which holds the connection data.

Ckumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jannis,

Could you please tell me how to recreate the connection and which XML file i need to delete.

Regards,

C Kumar

jrondorf
Participant
0 Kudos

I have to rephrase. Did your account password change, or the password of the database users? Only when the password of the database users changed, the part the above written would be helpful.

If it is your OS accounts password, it could have something to do with file permissions in the installation folder...

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jannis,

Are you referring to emsconfig.xml?  I'd reccomend renaming over deletion.  Bad things can happen...

Matt

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I think Jannis is referring to emsconfig.xml.  Do yourself a favor as I noted above and rename rather than delete.

The file itself should get recreated when you stop and start the MMC.  Then you will need to reset the connection strings.  You'll probably also need to restart the dispatchers.

Another way to test this is to install the MMC (IDM Designtime) on another system that can access the Identity Store.

It's also a good idea to double check that the relevant ports have not been closed and that no one has changed the database rights on the mxmc* accounts.  I've seen it before where some well meaning system administrator or DBA goes mucking about without checking first...

Matt

Ckumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jannis,

I was using administrator user previously to login to my IDM server. IT team changed the password of administrator user and after login to IDm server using the new password I am able to access the database using window authentication but while accessing SAP Identity Center I am facing above issue.

Identity center is accessible when I used <SID>adm user to login to the server.

Regards,

C Kumar

Ckumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Could you please tell me how to start and stop MMC. I guess you are not talking about SAP MMC.

While renaming the file emsconfig.xml, do i need to follow any standard or I can put any name?

Just want to ensure that renaming will not cause any issue to identity center as currently it is accessible via <SID>adm user login.

Regards,

C Kumar

jrondorf
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, that one. I never recommend deletion without backup that is crystal clear 🙂

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stopping the IDM MMC? Just close it (you might need to force close mmc.exe) the Dispatcher can be stopped from the Services app if needed.

Ckumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

I have followed your suggestion and closed the MMC. After that when I tried to opened the Identity Center again and got the same popup, then  I selected the second link continue "running and ignore errors ..." to proceed further but again its not showing my Identity centre

Regards,

C Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is an unfortunate truth that the MMC is pretty terrible - that message isn't uncommon.  If it prevents them getting in at all that might be an issue, but otherwise ignore it.

Try 'Ignore the error' then shutdown and restart (including logging out to make sure session data is cleared).  If it continually happens, you can always try a reinstall.

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pratab,

I am sure !! This is nothing to do with the reset of password .

It is because of the memory related error in MMC snap-in.

I believe the MMC version is 3.0. You can check the version of MMC by navigating to Help->About Management Console.

Microsoft confirms that MMC version 3.0 has a feautre that tracks memory-related errors in snap-ins. For more information on this please go through the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915797

But you might be confused, as the MMC is provided/comes with installers by SAP. Also till yesterday this issue was not there and all of sudden facing this error!!

My assumption is, if you copy and paste the jobs/folders in MMC which are big in memory, you might face this problem. This happened to me couple of time, but when I did a restart I never faced that problem again.

It might be different in your case, but shared my experience with such errors thinking that it might help you.

All the best !!

Thanks,

Krishna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response. I will check out the link your provided and the suggestions. Meanwhile the windows administrator deleted and recreated the user profile and the error happens no more. So I will have to try and recreate this issue and post back here.

Also this was happening to only one user who reset the password.

Thanks again

Pratab