cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to take MaxDB 7.7 backup on Windows Network share drive through DBMGUI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are running SAP on MAXDB 7.7 + WIndows 2008R2 and I am having very lite knowledge in MAXDB.

We used to take our MAXDB backup on local drive with DBMGUI and it went fine but now we are trying to take backup on Network Shared Drive with DBMGUI but it is giving the below error (D:\sapdb\data\wrk\SID\dm.prt):

2013-11-13 20:15:03 0x000b8b04 ERR          3 DBMKnl   Received the result of an administrative statement from the database

0x000b8b04 ERR          9 DBMKnl   Statement:  SAVE DATA QUICK TO '\\NETAPP01\SAPbackup\SID_Backup\SID_COM9' FILE BLOCKSIZE 8 NO CHECKPOINT MEDIANAME 'IPD_COM9'

0x000b8b04 ERR         10 DBMKnl   Returncode: -903

0x000b8b04 ERR          5 DBMKnl   Errortext:  Host file I/O error

2013-11-13 20:15:03 0x000b8b04 ERR     -24580 DBMSrv   ERR_COMMAND_FAILED: Command 'backup_save' has ended and failed with return code -24988.

0x000b8b04 ERR     -24988 DBMSrv   ERR_SQL: SQL error

0x000b8b04 ERR     -24778 DBMSrv   -903,Host file I/O error

0x000b8b04 ERR     -24778 DBMSrv   3,Data backup failed

0x000b8b04 ERR     -24778 DBMSrv   Servertask Info: because Error in backup task occured

0x000b8b04 ERR     -24778 DBMSrv   Job 1 (Backup / Restore Medium Task) [executing] WaitingT169 Result=3700

0x000b8b04 ERR     -24778 DBMSrv   Error in backup task occured, Error code 3700 "hostfile_error"

0x000b8b04 ERR     -24778 DBMSrv   Backupmedium #1 (\\NETAPP01\SAPbackup\SID_Backup\SID_COM9) Could not open stream

0x000b8b04 ERR     -24778 DBMSrv   Backup error occured, Error code 3700 "hostfile_error"

we are trying to take this backup with the "Administrator" (local administrator), we have connected to DBMGUI with SUPERDBA user and our windows services XSERVER and MAXDB : SID are running under local system.

Please find the error log also.

your suggestions are highly appricated.

Thanks and Regards

KLNR

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hello KLNR,

When you create the medium definition for the backup to a network location, make sure you use the complete UNC path \\hostname\directory\filename
instead of mapped network drive (eg: M:\)

In addition refer to SAP Note: 1377148 FAQ: SAP MaxDB backup/recovery (Section 21)

Also refer to SAP Note: 85736 for additional requirements.

Regards, Yashwanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yaswanth,

Thanks for your prompt response.

1) I am not getting what is UNC, but I am taking backup to the network path (Netapp directory): \\NETAPP01\SAPbackup\SID_Backup\SID_COM9 ( I believe I followed complete UNC path)

2) I have gone through the note 85736 and the below are the solution points mentioned in the note and actions I did

a) The owner of the database service (sapservice<SID> or <SID>adm) must be known on the target host

I am not getting this point, what to do for this??? We are trying to take backup on Netapp directory (\\NETAPP01).

Both hosts should belong to one domain.

Both hosts on the same domain

b) The owner must be determined for the database service. User ID and the password of the database user are provided in the Control Panel -> Services for service ADABAS:<SID> or MaxDB:<SID> under 'This Account'

Bo

Earlier the Database service MaxDB: <SID> and Xserver started with a local system and now I have changed to: <SID>adm and maintained the password

c) I have changed the parameter USE_BACKUP_SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR to NO

Still backup is not success giving same error. Please suggest us.

Thanks and Regards

KLNR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can anybody help on this to resolve this....

Thanks and Regards

KLNR

0 Kudos

Hello KLNR,

Are you using the <sid>adm OS user to run the backup ? Check if the <sid>adm OS user have write access to this network location. Check if the OS user running the backup is in the SDB Operators group.

If you still having problem, please open a CSS ticket and attach the database logs to the message. Run DBM command diag_pack and attach the 'diagpack.tgz' file generated under the run directory to the CSS ticket.

Regards, Yashwanth