cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metadata Manager question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello - I am new to Information Steward andits capabilities.

Can Metdata Manager component capture source to target column mappings from an Excel spreadsheet including descriptive notes? Infact does Metadata Manager allow a UI to perform source to target mappings based on schemas/files etc?

Thank you.

Saman

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saman,

To answer the question correctly, it would be helpful to know what your end goal with capturing this information is. The reason I ask, is that if you already have ETL jobs (such as SAP Data Services) that actually do the source to target data movement, then you can use IS to collect that metadata directly. Or if you have used some modeling tool such as SAP Sybase PowerDesigner, IS can collect that metadata as well.

Thanks,

Abhiram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

After speaking with SAP, I have found out Metadata Manager is unable to capture mappings from a spreadsheet. It is not suited as a data mapping tool unless you wish to develop DS jobs.

If anyone is interested, we were looking for the capability - albeit simpler - of Analytix DS (http://www.analytixds.com/products/mapping-manager).

NielsWeigel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Saman,

did you look into the capabilities of SAP Sybase PowerDesigner? With the Reverse Engineering capabilities to read, integrate and link the metadata information of your organization and the Data Movement models you can define there it seems to me like covering the activities you mentioned.

Niels

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Niels. Unfortunately, we do not intend as of yet to use PowerDesigner. We are more of a ErWin shop. We do believe there is value to Metadata Manager for lineage and impact analysis on SAP related development but not really for capturing source to target mappings, rules, descriptions etc for a heterogeneous systems environment..