cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with kernel upgrade 7.01, 32->196

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I have a problem with upgrading the kernel of my SAP Solution Manager 7.01 EhP1 system. I did a migration from our old server to the new system with the installation medium 51037376. This worked fine, nevertheless the finished system has a start kernel level 32.

I could start the sap system but when logging in it displays a short dump with transaction SICK where system kernel level is mentioned. So I tried to download the newest kernel for 7.01 which was 196. Created a temp folder with following extracted content:

- sapexe_196-100005992.SAR

- sapexedb_196-100005994.SAR

- tp_196-10005992.SAR

I saved the old exe-directory under usr\sap\SLM\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64 and usr\sap\SLM\DVEBMGS00\exe and copied the temp folder content into these two directories. But now I am not able to start the windows service again in order to start the sap system from the MMC.

The error message is:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

The windows logger message is:

"Activation context generation failed for "F:\usr\sap\SLM\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64\sapstartsrv.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.4053" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

When I restore the old content with kernel level 32 the system can be started. So where is the problem? I also downloaded and installed the latest sapmmc (sapmmc_2-20005868.msi) but this did not changed anything.

I also tried to update the usr\sap\SLM\SCS03\exe directory, which should be valid for the java stack but without any luck.

SAP notes did not help either 😞

Can someone point me to the correct files to get the kernel upgrade working? Which files should be copied to which folder (DVEBMGS00, SCS03, SYS)?

I would be happy if you could help me fixing this!

Thanks and regards,

Andreas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

To change the kernel:

1. Stop SAP

2. Stop the Services

3. Shutdown the MMC

4. copy usr\sap\SLM\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64 to usr\sap\SLM\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64.old

5. Copy the SAR files to usr\sap\SLM\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64

6. un-car them here

7. Restart the MMC and SAP

The sapcpe program will firstly copy the new exe's to the required locations.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Graham

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.

Have you try to install proper version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package for (x64) or Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64) ?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/error-the-application-has-failed...

BR,

K.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

SAP was strongly recommended, Directly you can upgrade kernel 7.01 to 7.20 with latest version. And you will download database independent and dependent [as per Database].

If you go for EHP upgrade, you will upgrade kernel 7.20 EXT

Check below navigation in SMP.

My Company's Application Components" Complimentary Software" SAP KERNEL 64-BIT UNICODE" SAP KERNEL 7.20 64-BIT UNICODE

BR,

Prabhakar