cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can you do a database copy before you start SUM Preprocessing step?

0 Kudos

Hello,

I am preparing to perform a SP update in my SAP ERP EHP6 for 6.0 ABAP system. I have run the SUM up to the 'Preprocessing' roadmap step.

Now that I have done this I am asked to copy my production database to my test database so that the testing team can run some parallel tests.

My question is after the copy will I have to run the software update manager from the beginning again or will I be able to begin at the 'Preprocessing' step?

Regards,

Ron Fink

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ron,

you should not try this. Either do upgrade or system copy not both at a time.

As you are in pre processing phase, you can always reset update in SUM and do system copy.

OR complete the upgrade and then do system copy.

best regards

ashish

0 Kudos

Hello ashish,

Thank you for your reply. Just to be clear, I haven't started the preprocessing phase yet. I stopped the update after the 'Checks' phase.

My first instinct was also no I should not try this. I was just wanted to check with people with more experience than I have. You never know what you might learn. In any case I will be doing the database copy and then restart the update from the beginning.

Thank you.

Ron

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member45419
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

First do completion of upgrade of sp fineshed all the pre processing step

then do the system copy as vikas said...

Regards

Nayeem

0 Kudos

Thank you Nayeem.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Are you running upgrade on production system or test system ? If it is test system and you are restoring your backup from production to test, then you need to start test system upgrade again because database will be overwritten and there will be no shadow system present in the database.

Thanks,

Sunny

0 Kudos

Thank you sunny.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Will I be able to begin at the 'Preprocessing' step.

Use the XML file generated for PRD by changing the SID in th XML.

Open the XML  file in notepad and change the SID of test  system SID and use it for SUM upgrade.

BR,

Prabhakar

0 Kudos

Thank you for your replay Pabhakar. Actually after the copy the DBSID will be set back as my TST system. I will be following vikas advise and do the copy and then start the update.

Regards,

Ron