Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Java Virtual Machine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem which is not so easy to me:

After an Installation (SolMan 7.1) we started the SUM for SPS10. In the preperation phase somhow the /tmp Folder got damaged...All data which was stored there was lost. After a restart of the Server the /tmp Directory was working again but it was empty. Also the SUM canceled and had to be killed by OS (redhat  Entp. Linux).

I started a new SUM from beginning (extraction of SUM*.SAR in new direcory) but everytime I got the following error:

ERROR (os_linux.cpp:3627): os::create_control_area: Could not open control area file /tmp/sap_jvm_<SIDADM>_25108 (13: Permission denied)

ERROR (controls.cpp:229): Cotrols::init: Could not create control area. Maybe old VMs are still running.

ERROR (jvmEnv.cpp:106): VMCOs::init: Initialization of the control area failed.

ERROR (thread.cpp:4578): VMCOs::init failed

Could not create the Java Virtual Machine

It seems that it still wants to open the old VMSessions which are not available anymore. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I already tried to create this folder but the I got the same error with another foldername.

Also java -version shows the error message Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.

Thanks and BR
Pascal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

ERROR (os_linux.cpp:3627): os::create_control_area: Could not open control area file /tmp/sap_jvm_<SIDADM>_25108 (13: Permission denied)

Looks like permission problem with the /tmp file system

chmod -R a+rwx /tmp

Start the SUM

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks you all for your help, but this things I allready checked:

- Environment Variables are set correctly (JAVA_HOME = usr/sap/<SID>/DVEBMGS10/exe/sapjvm_4/, PATH and also all other variables)

- Logged in as <SID>adm

- Searched for this folder in the /tmp directory, was not existing. Try to create it, then it tells me another folder in the error message.

- ABAP and JAVA were running before, after the crash only the database is starting.

- Even java - version is not working, so I think this might be a java problem (not AS JAVA)

The notes which you mentioned Ram are not the same error message, I have checked this and it seems to be OK. The ABAP and also JAVA AS were running before, so the problem came with the crash! For me it seems that java is looking for the old sessions which are not existing anymore. But I have no idea how to clean this...

BR
Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The only difference between the note and your problem is that in you case there is permission issue and th note are related to memory issue.

Can you please try to set the below two parameters and see if there is any issue with tmp.

create a new directory some where and then set the two variables to sidadm.

export TMP=/the directory that was created

export TMPDIR=/the directory that was created

then try the java -version

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rishi,

Thanks for your answer but this also didnt solve the problem. The error message is still the same and also the path where it tries to find the previous session is still the old one.

Strange is that with root and also ora<SID> I didnt get the error from java -version but I think this is because they are not using the sapjvm_4 which is in the SAP folder.

BR
Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you use root access and try to set the JAVA_HOME to the current sidadm and see if you get the same error.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you also try one more thing . Once you have root access try run the below command with root.

mv sap_jvm_<SIDADM>_25108 old.sap_jvm_<SIDADM>_25108

I know that you said that you cant find this file but can try.

Also try to touch a file in /tmp with sidadm.

Or try to get whole server rebooted and see if it helps.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you provide output from java -version command for different users?

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you go to the /tmp folder did you check the result with the below command.

ls -la | grep 25108

second think have you set JAVA_HOME In the env varible of the sidadm .

env | grep JAVA_HOME

As you have now installed the SAP solman 7.1 so there should be pointing to sapjvm rather than another jvm.

Hope you are running the sum tools with sidadm.

Is the sap system up and running both abap+java.

Thanks

Rishi abrol

guy_rodesch
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

Before starting SUM you should set the environment variable to a different directory and create the directory. The directory must belongi to user <sid>adm and group sapsys. And then restart the SUM process again.

Letting the SUM operate on /tmp directory leads very often to problems, as /tmp is a special directory on UNIX.

Regards,

Guy.