SAP for Oil, Gas, and Energy Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and navigate the evolving energy landscape. Join the conversation today!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information on SAP Oil & Gas

Kirubakar
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Let me introduce myself. Kirubakar Ezhilmani. I have 2 years experience as an ABAP consultant. I have completed my SAP ABAP certification and SAP Business Foundation and Integration certification. So, I do have basic knowledge on most of the modules like SD, MM, FI/CO, WM, etc.

Now I would like to move into the SAP Oil & Gas field but unfortunately there is not much information available online. It would be very helpful if I get some guidance on the same.

I understand that SAP Oil & Gas has a Upstream and Downstream sector, each which can be mastered.

1. As a fresher into this field with technical and business knowledge about general SAP, what would be a preferred path for me - Upstream or Downstream?

2. I am currently residing in Saudi Arabia. Taking that into account which of the two paths will be better for me (career wise)?

3. Do both these streams have their own respective certifications? I have come to understand that the certification - "SAP Certified Application Associate - Supply Chain Planning and Execution with SAP Oil & Gas with SCM 7.0 EHP1" deals with the downstream sector. Is there a respective certification for the upstream sector.

Link - (https://training.sap.com/v2/certification/c_tiog20_65-sap-certified-application-associate---supply-c...)

4. If so, which certification should I do to get a fresher job in SAP Oil & Gas

I apologize in advance for bombarding with a lot of question, but this information would really help me to choose the correct career path.

Thanks and Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

0 Kudos

Hi Kirubakar,

Having lived and worked in Saudi Arabia, I am firstly answering question 1 & 2 together. Although the path is not easy, but if you have made your mind (and certainly a good one) you should try and pursue the downstream side of Oil & Gas as it is more popular in terms of job perspective in SAP as well as in Saudi Arabia.

Question 3: I would not recommend you to jump for certification so soon, you may take up the course to get some understanding but do not link the certification exam as your entry pass to the SAP IS Oil domain. You should rather gain some hands on experience in implementing SAP IS Oil in Saudi or other middle east countries where there is always a demand. For example try for Saudi Aramco, SATORP, SASREF, Qatar Petroleum etc.

Question 4: If you really want to do, try the downstream course, but be aware it is quite tough these days to clear the exams even for experienced consultants.

Cheers,

Anubhav

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You do have a technical background, touching across the basics of different modules. To be honest that will not assist you or favor you to select your preference in IS OIL. the choice of upstream and downstream will depend on the understanding of the upstream and downstream processes together with your interest.

SAP do offer certification in IS OIL Upstream. please refer the below link for the course curriculum as listed at SAP India Website.

https://training.sap.com/in/en/curriculum/oil_upstream-sap-for-oil-gas-upstream-g-en

Regards,

0 Kudos

Thank you for the information Rahul.....

0 Kudos

Hi Kirubakar,

Having lived and worked in Saudi Arabia, I am firstly answering question 1 & 2 together. Although the path is not easy, but if you have made your mind (and certainly a good one) you should try and pursue the downstream side of Oil & Gas as it is more popular in terms of job perspective in SAP as well as in Saudi Arabia.

Question 3: I would not recommend you to jump for certification so soon, you may take up the course to get some understanding but do not link the certification exam as your entry pass to the SAP IS Oil domain. You should rather gain some hands on experience in implementing SAP IS Oil in Saudi or other middle east countries where there is always a demand. For example try for Saudi Aramco, SATORP, SASREF, Qatar Petroleum etc.

Question 4: If you really want to do, try the downstream course, but be aware it is quite tough these days to clear the exams even for experienced consultants.

Cheers,

Anubhav

0 Kudos

Thank you for this information Anubhav. This will really help me in moving forward.