Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

password synchronization between SAP and Active Directory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have a request from users to sync their AD password with their SAP ABAP ID,

I have read through and come to a conclusion the best way is to use Single Sign-On solution.

Is there any way other than SSO?

By the way, this is my environment.

Thanks...

SAP
Version : SAP 4.7

Database : Oracle 9i

Cheers,

Saiful

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saiful,

there is no way which is officially supported by SAP to synch passwords between a Microsft Active Directory and ABAP systems. So SSO is the only way to authenticate at an SAP system, where an initial authentication with the Microsoft AD is required.

Regards,

Patrick

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saiful,

there is no way which is officially supported by SAP to synch passwords between a Microsft Active Directory and ABAP systems. So SSO is the only way to authenticate at an SAP system, where an initial authentication with the Microsoft AD is required.

Regards,

Patrick

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Saiful,

Please go through this threads.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1156967

http://scn.sap.com/message/6725155

I hope above threads has answered your query fully regarding Sync AD password with ECC.

Regards,

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Some alternatives to consider:

SAP IdM has a password hook feature which is supposed to hook the password on change day and based on work flow rules set passwords through your SAP environment.

Set SAP to point to AD for usernames and passwords, which may require some CUA work...not 100% sure, when my company looked into this we were informed that it would also pull in computer objects, mailing list, etc due to our AD structure and we moved on with the implementation.

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

password synchronization is a really problematic solution. As It was mentioned IdM provided by SAP has a solution where you can pull new password from AD and then do with it whatever you want. E.g. push it to your ECC system.

Another workaround is to use SAP portal for SSO. Portal UME can be directed to AD and hence a user would authenticate against AD. The you can have a simple iView that launches SAP GUI without entering password again. It's kinda heavy weight if you do not have portal.

Martin