Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about language import

JAMpe
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I have the following questions about language import:

- Let's imagine that I've done a new installation  (I have only the default clients) and I want to install a new language but I also need to apply a support package stack (for abap), Which activity should I do first? I supossed that the DVD language only has the translations for the initial delivery stack of the NW release, right? So the order should be:

1. Install new language
  2. Install suplementation language for new language
  3. Apply Support package stack
  4. Use option: Special options->Import Support Packages (SMLT)

Am I right?

- Now, let's imagine that my new system, not yet release for customizing, has the new language installed (with suplemention language) and now I create new clients, for example, 100, 110 and 120. Do I need to apply a Suplementation language in each cliente? If not, under which circumstances I should do that?

There are other option when applying supplementation for customizing tables for other clients than 000, for example: Combined with RSREFILL, Combined with client maintenance, or supplement only. When are this options useful.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

JAM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Your procedure is correct. Please refer to SAP note 195442 for more information.

If you are creating new clients after installing language with supplementation then it is not required to apply supplementation of language to new clients. Because language package delivered by SAP does not contains full translation, so, you need supplementation. Supplementation is client dependent. When you don't have new clients in the system then you need to perform supplementation in client 000 only.

These options are useful when you have new clients apart from standard clients are already existing in your system then you need to perform supplementation in all clients in such a way that customer translation should not be overwritten. Please refer to SAP note 18601 and 1156507 for more information.

Thanks,

Sunny

JAMpe
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your time Sunny. however, I couldn't follow you completely.

Regarding this:

If you are creating new clients after installing language with supplementation then it is not required to apply supplementation of language to new clients. Because language package delivered by SAP does not contains full translation, so, you need supplementation. Supplementation is client dependent.

Ok with this but I dont get the explanation:

If supplementation is client dependent, why I shouldnt apply supplementation on each new client? Or It's because the client copy from client 000 does this task?

And finally regarding the last lines:

These options are useful when you have new clients apart from standard clients are already existing in your system then you need to perform supplementation in all clients in such a way that customer translation should not be overwritten

In which cases would you need to apply a supplementation language to an existing client (apart from standard)?

Regards,

JAM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you read this .

Question: Is it important in which client a language import or a language supplementation is carried out?

Answer: The language import can (as of Release 4.6C) be carried out in any client.
The supplementation should be carried out in client 000 and can be scheduled in higher clients afterwards. By default, only client-dependent tables are supplemented in the higher clients. The language guide advises that a language supplementation should be carried out in productively used clients only before the start of Customizing. This should ensure that the texts of SAP reference customizing are supplemented but not the texts that have been added recently in Customizing by the customer because these texts have yet to be translated. In the translation environment (SE63), the translation process is much smoother if texts have not been supplemented.
If customer customizing texts are not to be or cannot be translated (for example, scheduling problems in the translation before going live; no translator available), we recommend that you carry out a language supplementation in these clients. This can prevent incorrect behavior in different transactions (empty input help displays, transaction terminations).

11. Question: How are client-dependent table contents treated during the language import?

Answer: See SAP Note 2857 for information about the handling of different table classes.

12. Question: What should run first during the installation: the language import or the client copy?

Answer: If possible, you should carry out the language import before the client copy.
If you carry out the language import after the client copy, as described in SAP Note 2857, the client-dependent customizing tables (class C and G) of the new client do not receive the language data. SAP Notes 43853 and 1156507 describe this problem in more detail and list different solution options.

As of note 18601 - Frequently asked questions about language transport

Thanks

Rishi abrol

karthikeyan_natarajan4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi JA,

As it is a new installation, we always install the new language in client 000. All the further clients would be a copy of client 000. Hence newly created client will have the implemented language by default. Please go through this blog for additional information and steps on installing new languages to new systems.

http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-administrator/blog/2012/12/10/installation-of-languages-on-sa...

regards

kartik

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

For your first question- Supplementation is client dependent but if you are creating new client after doing language supplementation then it is not required as all settings will come when you will copy client 000 in new client.

For 2nd questions- Language supplementation should be used in all clients if the clients are existing because language supplementation will provide translation which is client dependent.

I would also recommend you to go through the notes which I shared with you earlier. It will give you clarity about the process.

Thanks,

Sunny

JAMpe
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your answers. I have checked the notes so correct me if I'm wrong:

1. In a fresh installation, you should install all the languages you need (with its supplementation) in client 000. The supplementation will import cross client text tables and client especific text tables. Then you will create the higher clients. No supplementation is needed in higher clients.

2. If for some reason, you have already created higher clients and you need to import a new language you could install the new language in any client, however, the supplementation should be carry out first in client 000 (this will import the cross client and client especific text tables). Then a supplementation should be carry out in the higher clients to copy client especific text tables from 000 with the options available in SMLT for not overwriting customer-specific translations (RSREFILL and client maintenance).

3. After the import of support packages, addons or EHPs, you could run another supplementation in client 000 for cross client text table or also use the option import from support packages for deltas.

Regards,

JAM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes you are right.We have supplementations jobs that runs periodically every day so normally after the support package application/add on installation we dont run the supplementation jobs.

RK

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You got it right.

Thanks,

Sunny

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi JAM,

in this specific case your sequence is correct.

However then in point 4) there should be nothing to do.

In general you should completely  finish the language import (including the support package specific texts) and then go on with application of additional support packages - so basically 3) and 4) should be flipped.

Please also have a look at SAP note 1375438 point 4.

Regarding supplementation please be aware that there are some disadvantages if you want to use the translation workbench (Transaction SE63) with the full scope. Hence in case of a translation system, I would not recommend to do the supplementation.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

JAMpe
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input Nils.