cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class & characteristics in Results recording

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have some client specific data to be captured in results recording for reporting purposes

.Please suggest how to capture class & characteristics in QE01.

I made following settings : Classed recording & Class characteristic setting in MIC.But unable to retrieve those in QE01.

thnx

Srini

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Craig & MH

Thanks for your valuable Inputs.

Industry I am working is Defense R&D sector in which SD is not applicable here and yes we are implementing a very basic and plain solution.But We are trying to add some value by adding some controls since our deliverable seems to be limited scope.

When I gone through configuration part, it offers me very little chance to incorporate variety in my solution (compared to any other module)

I just think QM programming architecture is more inclined towards process based industries.

Cheers

Srini

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are correct.  SAP is a business process ERP system.  It is not optimized towards R&D processes.  I would not normally recommend using SAP for R&D processes except in certain types of areas in a limited capacity.

If you wanted to to utilize QM lots at various check points, I would consider setting up the lots as UD only with no characteristics as I mentioned earlier.  I'm sure you are using some type of paper work in the lab for performing inspections.  You could scan these in and attach them in services for object as as supporting documentation and then add notes in the UD long text.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Craig,

If I activated batch management , Can it be possible to run this scenario.

srini

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Batch management won't help you if you can't figure out how to use MIC's in inspection lots.  General characteristics cannot be used in inspection lots to record values.  You have to use MIC's.  Batch management allows you to track values with specific material.

If you aren't batch managed, the QM side can only be used primarily for internal quality checks.  It would be difficult when shipping material to provide customers certs or results about the material since you would have a hard time knowing exactly which inspection lots belong to the material being shipped.  Unless all your products are MTO and you basically only ever have one "batch" in the system at a time.

Without knowing what business you are in, and what kind of customers you are serving, it is difficult to provide much guidance.  But off-hand the system you describe sounds like a very basic quality control system, (within SAP anyway), that doesn't seem very robust or value adding.  Since every thing is decided by the inspector as to what to inspect and what a pass/fail is, it seems to be a very wide open, nebulous system.  Kind of sounds like wine tasting!  Maybe tea leaf, or coffee bean evaluation where the value is the long time training of the inspector.

Craig

Martin_H
Contributor
0 Kudos

Srini,

You don't just "activate batch management", as this has impact on a lot of your processes (and they must not be only QM related).

You ask for the solution of a (your?) concrete implementation idea, but I think you notice that you get a lot of questions back. This normally intends you should first look for the original root request/problem you are trying to solve.

Regards

MH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Craig,

I tried already as u mentioned : "use regular MIC's and enter the text items into inspection description for each MIC.  Some of your parameters could be record via catalogs if the selections are limited, or as quantitative MIC's if they are numeric."

It leads to 2 issues.one is alpha numeric data cant be handled by Quant MIC's because my proposed list of char values are dynamic.(cant fix them at once in master data)

It increases no of MIC's and code groups, most of them may not be critical to inspection.

Moreover user wants to enter data instantaneously(without providing char values)

I think class characteristics in MIC are for capturing miscellaneous information only (Non-relevant from QM point of view).If not class tab in MIC and class type 05 of no use.

May be I am missing some config or tables related settings here.

Srini

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nope.. I think you have the basic grasp. The classification 05 is not involved with recording results at all.  You can classify a MIC to add additional info about the test.  For instance, if the test is an FCC test, or compendium test.  You could have a number of MIC's like Brookfield Viscosity tests where you might create three characteristics, SPINDLE_NUM, RPM and TEMPERATURE.  All three must be known by the tech to run that test.  This puts the info into SAP so the tech can reference it.   You do not edit, record or change these values within an inspection lot.  They are more like master data about the MIC.

You are correct, quant MIC's can't handle alpha-numerics.  Qualitative MIC's must use catalogs and can't take free text. 

Also, since you aren't batch managed, you have limited options.  The best I can suggest is to maybe make the inspection lot none characterisitc relevant.  (click off "insp. by charcs" in inspection setup.  The lot would only require a UD then.  Record all your inspection information than in the long text of the UD.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My actual requirement is to capture information (Package Name,Origin,PCB No etc) relevant to operation to display it in a form.

Batch management is inactive.I want to retrieve class & characteristics in QE01.

I created class type as (05) inspection characteristic and assign it to MIC and inspection plan.

In results recording,In Additional info column I am able to see Class object,but couldn't able to save the char values.

Is it possible to give user defined char values in results recording?

srini

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, you have this totally backwards.  The 05 class type is to classify the MIC's.  Not to serve as a place to record values for product testing.  You can't record descriptions such as a package name in inspection lots unless you set them up as catalogs to be used with a MIC.

Why not use regular MIC's and enter the text items into inspection description for each MIC.  Some of your parameters could be record via catalogs if the selections are limited, or as quantitative MIC's if they are numeric.

Craig

former_member235613
Participant
0 Kudos

These sound more like values to identify a sample. if you are using inspection points, i would have those as fields in the inspection point setup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

can u provide any example in inspection point setup

srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sinivas,

Can you please clarify the requirement. Do you want the result recording to flow to class characteristics?

For that you can find a huge no of discussions in this forum. So i am sure that is not your requirement.

Do you want maintain the inspection characteristics on a client level. Then as suggested by nitin you can go with material specification QS61.

If there is some unique requirement kindly explain with an example so that you can get the correct answer.

Regards,

Smruti

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

Just to add further, may be you are looking for certain values from the batch classification to appear into your result recording screen.

If this is the case, you can try with 'Insp by specification' which can be maintain in MM02 for QM view.

Or else, pl come up with the requirement specifically.

Regards,

ntn

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Class recording has nothing to do with class characteristics.  In fact, a MIC with the control indicator "class recording"  cannot be linked to a general characteristic as they cannot be compatible.

You need to explain a bit more about your design. 

Craig