cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material spec and inspection plan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I know this  has been a common topic and I have read the help and the other SDN posts but am still not able to get a clear advantage of one over the other. The "batch valuation w/o mtl spec" setting.......it has to be "deselected" if I am going to use mtl spec right ? In that case do I even need to have inspection plans ? I cant see a real benefit of having inspection plans as when I link the MIC to the batch class char, the MIC in the inspection plan gets the range of the batch char which is a wide range. However I could have many mtls using the same class char and the same MIC but with a diff spec range. In that case I need to have the material spec right? Else I would have to unlock the MICs in the plan and then keep mtl specific values there. I guess I cannot see....and maybe its just me, the advantage of having an inspection plan if I am going to use mtl specification.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One of the issues is that the material spec is all or nothing.  If you have different characteristics, or different specs, you may need inspection plans for some inspection types.  For instance, you test with material spec for 04 inspections.  But when you reinspect using 09 inspection types, you only test for a subset of the material spec. In that case you want your 09 plan to only have a few tests on it.  If you use material spec with it, it will add on any MIC's not in the plan to the the last operation of the plan.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

does that mean that I can totall do away with inspection plans and have just material specs ? Looks as though material spec being material specific is the one to use if you want to transfer results into batch characteristics. Am I right ? Is it that for all the "important" inspection types like 01, 03, 04 using matl spec is the way to go any for the other "unimportant" inspection types using inspection plans would be the way to go.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I wish it was that simple.  If you just want to transfer MIC values to the class, you don't need the material spec anymore. (plant QM config setting to allow this).  But if you want to transfer specification values from the class, material  master or material spec DOWN to the inspection lot, then you need the material spec.

One approach is to define the minimum characteristics required to certify a material and place these in the material spec.  Then add other characteristics into the inspection plan.

Craig

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Basic difference b/w Material and inpsection plan is :

Material specification is ta client level while inpection plan is at plant level.

Material specification will be used where specs are identical for some material and will be applicable for Vendor / customer and internal quality inspection.

while in inpsection plan u can assigned the different specs and limits along with tolrenace values according to Vendor/ Customer or internal purpose wise.

Regards