cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue wtih Underlying Software Component Version

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a fresh PI 7.11 system installed and yesterday I started creating the software components etc.. imported them into ESR but when I wanted to configure the underlying software component versions for some of the software components I was unable to do so as there no option to add a swc.. If I open up my swcv and go the the details tab it says there underlying software component version with a big blank list box but no + or - or anything allowing me to add or remove. Does anyone know why this is and how to enable it? I suppose I can add the dependencies on the SLD as well then just re-import the swcv? But I still like to know how to enable this on ESR.

Thanks,

Jan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I came right using the SLD. I just had to re-import my SWC after changing the dependency. Still don't know why there's a difference between the 2 systems even though they are both 7.11 but at least I can continue via the sld.

Cheers,

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Underlying software components cannot be maintained in the ESR, only in the SLD.

Kind regards,

Koen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry you are incorrect on this one.. Here's a screen print on how it should look.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jan,

These buttons are only enabled for local software components, not for software components you define in the SLD.

Kind regards,

Koen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry for arguing.. Just trying to understand this. I did a test now on one of the client's boxes that's working fine and even after creating the SWC in the SLD I'm able to do this. Here's the test I did:

www.it3.co.za/docs/USWCV_Test.pdf

I did however notice a difference between the systems. The way you import from the SLD. On the system which I ran the test I right click, create new, SWC then check the "Import from SLD"radio box. On the other system I have to click Tools the import.. or something like that. If I try right click, create new on that box there's no option for creating a SWC. Both systems are PI 7.11 so what could be different.. Patch level maybe?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

the way you do it in the PDF is the correct one and the standard one. But were you able to add underlying SWCV later? I'd rather agree to Koen, you should and can only define that in SLD.

You can export and import SWCV by the normal transport routes, but the problem with that is that they may have no link to SLD (reference to SLD is not the name, but the underlying ID. This is different each time the SWC is created in SLD. So be careful in migration scenarios when you migrate SLD). This means that in ID you would have no links to interfaces on the systems, since you won't be able to install the SWCV on that system in SLD. There will be no entry in the value list for choosing interfaces or mappings. Bascially, you'll have to enter it all manually in ID then which is more error-prone and generally not as it was designed. It works, but it is not recommendable.

Regards,

Jörg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jan,

You're right. I checked on a PI 7.11 installation and I agree: you can define the underlying software component versions in the ESR. In my earlier post I was looking at a PI 7.0 installation, where you cannot.

This brings us back to the original question I'm afraid...