cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI 7.30 rev4 on OSX Mavericks (10.9)

erik_hendrix
Explorer
0 Kudos

Looks like there is an issue with SAP GUI 7.30 rev4 on OSX Mavericks (10.9) (With Oracle JVM 7 update 45). When closing a Sap GUI session to an SAP system, SAP GUI ends up just hanging. See a little bit of CPU usage but it would definitely seem like it is waiting for "something".

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Erik,

such hangs are not necessarily specific to Mavericks.

Your description sounds like this is reproducible and the impression is that the process is not busily doing something but waiting for something.

When SAP GUI for Java is gone into this state, please go to the terminal and type "jps" to get the list of process ids of all java processes.

With the process id from SAP GUI for Java, please type "jstack <pid>" (replace <pid> with the actual number).

Please send us the output, preferably as support message on component BC-FES-JAV.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

erik_hendrix
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Rolf, OSS message has been opened to BC-FES-JAV (1075793). Note, also noticed that going to About -> More Info also results in a hang.

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Erik,

it seems the issues are related to changes in the Java updates for Retina Display support.

It might help to use Java 1.7.0 Update 25 in the meanwhile.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

erik_hendrix
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hey Rolf,

I tried update 40 first but it still had the same issue, went back to update 25 then and seems to be fine. What is a bit interesting is that I do not recall having this issue with OSX 10.8 and I know I was already on update 45 then.

So this might then be a compatibility issue between Java Update 40/45 and Mavericks?

I'm assuming that this is going to have to be something to be fixes by Oracle (Java) and/or Apple then?

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Erik,

we see different setups and conditions, when this hang in the JVM happens. Your migration to Mavericks is just one of them, but on other machines, similar problems also happens can be seen on 10.8.5.

We first need to fully understand the issue, but indeed it looks like this is caused by changes in the latest Java updates and needs to be addressed by Oracle.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

erik_hendrix
Explorer
0 Kudos

Noticed that rev 5 includes support for Mavericks. So the question is, is the issue with JVM 7 update 40/45 resolved in this revision or do we still need to stay on update 25 until JVM itself is fixed?

Thanks.

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Erik,

as already mentioned before, the situations with no longer responding UI also can happen on Macs running older OS versions.

I am currently testing with Java 8 early access b118 and after installing this version, I never had such a situation, although I had them on my Mac pretty reproducible.

You might want to try this version as well (in the meantime b119 is out) and see, if it makes a difference. (of course Java 8 can not be officially supported yet, but form what we see, it works way better then the current Java 7 updates)

As indicated before, the reason for the issues is not in JavaGUI coding, but in JVM implementation. Unfortunately we have not yet found a way to workaround this.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

erik_hendrix
Explorer
0 Kudos

Haven't yet tested with update 51. But I do believe I found the reported bug for this in the JDK: JDK-8025588

It states it was fixed in JDK8/b116 (explaining why you do not see it in b118). According to the comments the fix will be in update 55, due April 14th, 2014. So the fix would not yet be in update 51.

Hope this helps.

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Erik,

indeed, the bug is still there in Java 7 update 51. However, until now it seems that we can not reproduce the issue with the update 55 we have. So there is some light at the end of the tunnel ...

Thanks for the info.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

JavaGui rev 5 now officially supports 10.9.

Regards,

Jude

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Right now,Erik, OSX 10.9 is not on the supported list.

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1758540

There should be support with the next few patches.

regards,

Jude