Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am very new to BPM

The process the client wants to put into place in our project is as follows

1. PI polls for file on ftp server

2. PI validates the file contents and collects errors

3. If any errors PI sends email to functional team informing about errors

4. If no errors PI executes message mapping between source message and sales order BAPI for all records in the file

5. PI informs the client about all the sales orders created

Does the above qualify for a BPM process and how should I go about doing the BPM - what are the steps to be used

I have seen that there are receiver, sender, transformation steps etc. but I am getting confused in what steps to use.

Please could you guide me through this since I feel if this BPM is done then I can use the same for other customers which will follow the same process.

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

in my personal opinion i would challenge this design.  personally i feel it is flawed.

you would not want to validate any business logic in SAP PI.  where would you store this logic to validate the file and return errors? 

I would suggest SAP PI picks up the file by FTP, calls an ABAP Proxy which then validates the data before calling the BAPI.  it would be simpler to build, less chance of failure and you have better control in SAP ECC. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Barry

I get your point - do you mean to say that the validation is one message mapping/service interface via web service and then the BAPI call is another message mapping / service interface

or this is a case of validation message mapping as step 1, bapi message mapping as step 2

How do I handle the emailing part?

I am just looking for some design guidelines so happy if you choose to be a critic

I have done interfaces which do mappings etc. but none where validation/mapping/error log to customer are handled

Regards

Girish

Former Member
0 Kudos

What type of validations are they asking for?
you could always put a wrapper around the BAPI in SPROXY and validate the data there.   and once processed you have the errors in the BAPI Return structure, or the document number. 
the emailing part is bog standard SAP.  Look at class CL_BCS:

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/Snippets/Send+email+from+ABAP+with+class+CL_BCS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.