Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in sql server 2008 R2 installation

former_member208255
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am installing the MSSQL server 2008 R2 in Windows server 2008 R2 standard edition, Getting below error.

Error : Installation finished successfully.....but verification showed unexpected version

can any body please help me to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Bhaskar N

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looks like a few of you have found a work-around.  I'm still trying to fix my SQL Server 2008 installation.  I suspect everyone had the same errors in the SQL4SAP log (see below).

Does anyone know what those commands are trying to do?

From the previous discussions, it would seem that the problem is connectivity related (perhaps DNS, or similar).  Anyone have any ideas?  I must have tried the install 10 times already with the same result.

11/11/2013 3:09:36 PM
----------------------------------------
CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Open(Provider=SQLOLEDB;Integrated Security='SSPI';Initial Catalog=master;Data Source='.')
=> ERROR
Execute(exec sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1 reconfigure with override )
=>
Close
=> ERROR

11/11/2013 3:09:58 PM
Open(Provider=SQLOLEDB;Integrated Security='SSPI';Initial Catalog=master;Data Source='.')
=> ERROR
Execute(exec sp_configure 'max degree of parallelism', 1 exec sp_configure 'xp_cmdshell', 1 exec sp_configure 'SMO and DMO XPs', 1 reconfigure with override ALTER LOGIN [sa] DISABLE )
=>
Close
=> ERROR

michel_massoud
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Ron,

Those commands are trying to create the connection to SQL Server.

Can you ping to your server name (from the server itself)? (sorry but I have to ask).

By the way, are you using virtual host names or clustering?

Please check DNS/hosts, UAC, path to installation media and windows firewall.

And take a look on SAP notes:

1282975 - Use of virtual TCP/IP host names in Windows

1144459 - SAP Installation Media and SQL4SAP for SQL Server 2008 (R2)

Best regards.

M. Massoud

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.  I thought so.

I read some previous notes regarding people that re-installing the OS and then got MS SQL to successfully install.  I chose to update the OS.  (There were a number of Microsoft OS patches outstanding.)

Once complete, I removed the partial MS SQL Server install, and then re-tried.

This time it worked.  It would appear this error has something to do with the OS patch level.

I could not find any OS patch level details in the PAM.  Does SAP list the OS patch level for each product? All I've seen is the main release version (i.e. MS Windows 2008).  Nothing on the patch level.

janos_czettler
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, but all relevant note inspections was done, CUA and firewall was disabled, I tried to unistall and reinstall the MSSQL 2008 and MSSQL 2008R2, but both of MSSQL version installation said same warning with the version number at end of the installation.

When I tried to run the SAP install (SWPM 7.0x SP4) it can looked up the SQL server, but cannot connect in to the server.

Some other MSSQL server was installed on this Windows 2008, and I think it was the problem.

We reinstall the OS and then the MSSQL 2008R2 install was successfully.

This is just a workaround, not the solution, but works...

Regards

Janos

michel_massoud
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Janos,

I'm glad you (and also Bhaskar) could solve it but, as you said, that was a workaround. We had exactly the same problem as you did:

...CUA and firewall was disabled, I tried to unistall and reinstall the MSSQL 2008 and MSSQL 2008R2, but both of MSSQL version installation said same warning with the version number at end of the installation.

When I tried to run the SAP install (SWPM 7.0x SP4) it can looked up the SQL server, but cannot connect in to the server.

There was a wrong entry in HOSTS file causing sql4sap and sapinst could not connect to SQL Server. I don't know if that was your case but I hope next time you don't need to reinstall the OS!

Best regards.

M. Massoud

janos_czettler
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I have to do same process on an another server with same environment (Win2008 Hungarian version, and MSSQL 2008R2) on this weekend.

If I will meet this error again, I try perform your solution!

Thanks!

Regards

Janos

former_member208255
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Finally completed the SQL installation, i have followed the below steps.

1. Format the OS

2. Disable the CUA in Control panel

3. Copy the media in separate folder.

4. Start the SQL installation and Successfully completed

Thanks all for your support.

Best Regards,

Bhaskar N

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please let me know if you find a solution to your problem.  I have just started a NW731 install with SQL Server 2008 R2 and have run into the exact problem.  Turning off UAC did not change anything.

michel_massoud
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I just faced the same issue. In my case, there was a problem with name resolution. I followed these steps:

- Fix DNS

- Completely uninstall SQL Server

- Turn off UAC

- Copy the installation media to a new directory (path without spaces)

- Reboot the system

- Install SQL Server again (successfully)

Best regards.

janos_czettler
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi There,

I have same issue and C:\windows\sql4sap.log shows the following error at the ending:

2013.11.06. 12:39:33

=> ERROR

Execute(exec sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1 reconfigure with override )

=>

Close

=> ERROR

2013.11.06. 12:39:54

=> ERROR

Execute(exec sp_configure 'max degree of parallelism', 1 exec sp_configure 'xp_cmdshell', 1 exec sp_configure 'SMO and DMO XPs', 1 reconfigure with override ALTER LOGIN [sa] DISABLE )

=>

Close

=> ERROR

2013.11.06. 12:40:16

=> ERROR

Execute(select serverproperty('ProductVersion'))

=>

Close

=> ERROR

2013.11.06. 12:40:37

Message Box "Wrong SQL Server version"

Installation finished successfully...

but verification showed unexpected version:

SQL Instance:            (default)

SQL Version: 

The SAPInstall said:

TRACE      2013-11-06 13:57:27.456

MSSTRC: odbc driver is installed.

TRACE      2013-11-06 13:57:27.468 [iaxxclib.cpp:161]

CLib::load()

Opened C:\Users\HOSTLO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\sapinst_exe.5568.1383742388/iamodmssql.dll

WARNING    2013-11-06 13:57:48.658 [iaxmcsql.cpp:113]

iastring CIaMssSqlConnect::executeSQL(args_t const& _args)

Cannot connect to the database server. Errors returned: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]A várakozási idő lejárt.

Call your SAP Support.

TRACE      2013-11-06 13:57:48.666

Cannot connect to ORION

A várakozási idő lejárt.

ORION is the MSSQLSERVER (default), and "A várakozási idő lejárt." means the time is out...

Any idea?

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I thing you may require to check the MS Sql server installation media and OS support Kindly refer the  Installation guide http://service.sap.com/instguides -> Database Upgrades -> MS SQL Server. For practical reasons, we call this guide "Upgrade and Installation Guide"

and SAP Note 1144459  - SAP Installation Media and SQL4SAP for SQL Server 2008 (R2)

1152240  - Setting Up Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (R2)

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First of all i would suggest you to check PAM for your release and the database that is avalible for your OS and the sap product you are going for.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rao

Kindly refer the link

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3444627

and also check the log in C:\windows\sql4sap.log

Regards

Sriram

former_member208255
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

Thanks for response.

I have reduced the CUA control in control panel.

Then also i am facing the same issue.

Please suggest me...

thks,

Bhaskar N

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rao

Could you paste the log in C:\windows\sql4sap.log

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm having the same error.  Here's the section of the log that is creating the error.

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

Scenario specific rules:

Rules report file:               C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20131108_201729\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

11/8/2013 8:34:08 PM
=> ERROR
=>
Close
=> ERROR

11/8/2013 8:34:30 PM
=> ERROR
=>
Close
=> ERROR

11/8/2013 8:34:51 PM
=> ERROR
Execute(select serverproperty('ProductVersion'))
=>
Close
=> ERROR

11/8/2013 8:35:12 PM
Message Box "Wrong SQL Server version"
Installation finished successfully...

but verification showed unexpected version:

SQL Instance:   (default)
SQL Version:   

Result: vbOK

Registry settings (2/2):
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\{3d06c673-5e8a-41c0-b47f-3c3ca0a22e67}
WRITE(REG_DWORD): 4

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\{2b9034f3-b661-4d36-a5ef-60ab5a711ace}
WRITE(REG_DWORD): 4

11/8/2013 8:35:21 PM
Quit script with return code 0