Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculation between Two facts on universe side

pradeep_putty
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there any chance, can we do calculation between two facts related measures

on the universe side. Each fact belong to a different context.

I know we can do fact to fact based calculations only on the report side.

as well as we can not have the similar variable concept on the universe side.

though i have seen similar request at the below ldea place,

still i would like to make sure that nothing has changed with recent advancements in 4.0

https://ideas.sap.com/ct/ct_a_view_idea.bix?c=E445BDF0-DEF5-4D6A-8A1D-519A4D301682&idea_id=7004005F-...

I would like to double confirm here whether what i am thinking is correct,

because

The company where i work is an OBIEE shop and they are moving to Business Objects,

so in OBIEE they have a concept of logical calculation which can be used to

do calculation between two facts on the RPD side itself.

so is there any work around or anything where SAP is working on this with an adapt or announced this would be available in any near future packs or patches.

Would appreciate if you can share your thoughts on this.

Thanks for your help,

Pradeep.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nothing has changed and nor should it.

Forcing calculations between contexts at the universe side would reintroduce the chasm trap that you built the contexts to avoid in the first place!

pradeep_putty
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Raja and Mark For taking time to reply back.

Hey Mark,

The wish here is,

if we can create a calculation based on two measures, coming from two facts, which are part of two contexts.

and when i use them in the report it should work like , run two separate queries, one for each context and synchronize data and deliver at the report , which is what happening as of now ,

but the only thing is we are not able to do at the universe level, but we can do at the report level only.

The way i see is , some how SAP should concentrate on having the query synchronization concept at universe level too. As specified in the idea place its being worked on by SAP. i see they have their own challenges, as its been there for a long time.

Or

Am i missing any workaround or simple technique that's already in place.

I feel this is a basic need. As OBIEE is able to deliver these calculations , its becoming really hard

to convince the user base to use BOBJ.

As users want to have all fields at universe side and they just want drag and drop and run a quick adhoc report .Like if we are having BOOKINGS and BILLINGS fact . and users want an objects like BILLINGS - BOOKINGS at universe level, rather than creating a variable or formula at the report level.

Thanks for your help,

Pradeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another option to consider is a derived table. If you can create another fact table that brings together the two data sets correctly, you can then calculate BILLINGS - BOOKINGS because the two columns will exist in the same fact table - the one that you just constructed as a derived table.

Plan it out, consider the granularities of the two tables that you want to combine and build your SQL.

Then you can plug it into the universe as a derived table and away you go

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This has not been added to  4.1.

Thanks,

Raja