0 Kudos

what r fault messages?what is the purpose of creating a fault message

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

fault message is a message that describes an application-specific error situation

we have standardised fault message in XI.

Fault message types are designed for application-specific errors that occur on the inbound side and that are reported back to the sender or persisted in monitoring.

In the synchronous case, when an application-specific error occurs on the inbound side, instead of sending a response message back to the sender, the application can send a fault message to handle the error.

The fault message of the application for an asynchronous ABAP server proxy is persisted for monitoring. In the case asynchronous of Java server proxies, the fault message is part of a negative application acknowledgement

Application-specific means that the application on the inbound side triggers the error itself because, for example, the request message did not contain sufficient information

See the below links

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/5d/a45c3cff8ca92be10000000a114084/content.htm

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/ee5bc490-0201-0010-e9b5-a258cf08...

/people/sap.user72/blog/2006/01/16/xi-propagation-of-meaningful-error-information-to-soap-client

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/11/02/fault-message-types--a-demo-part-1

Regards

Chilla..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kodalivenu,

Fault message types are designed for application-specific errors that occur on the inbound side and that are reported back to the sender or persisted in monitoring.

In the synchronous case, when an application-specific error occurs on the inbound side, instead of sending a response message back to the sender, the application can send a fault message to handle the error.

Hope I am clear.

Please let me know if you have any quereis..!

Thanks and Regards,

Chandu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use Fault messages when you want to handle errors at the Inbound side ie at the destination side.

check this nice blog also

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/11/02/fault-message-types--a-demo-part-1

Former Member
0 Kudos

so fault messages could be defined in inbound side only?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes....see the example given in the blog...

Former Member
0 Kudos

it can be done in both side. by default you see only inbound if you want bound you need to make it synchorouse case then you get the option to Fault message for outbound sidealso

Former Member
0 Kudos

SreeRam,

See...From Help

<i>Fault message types are designed for application-specific errors that occur on the inbound side and that are reported back to the sender or persisted in monitoring.</i>

ie...You can handle the errors occured in the Inbound side.......There are 2 cases that You can handle Fault messages......

1.Asynchronous 2.Synchronous.

Not in outbound side...

Former Member
0 Kudos

if it synchorouse then it is which side?

Former Member
0 Kudos

<i> In the synchronous case, when an application-specific error occurs on the inbound side, instead of sending a response message back to the sender, the application can send a fault message to handle the error.</i>

Former Member
0 Kudos

then you r using fault data type to define these error back to sender right.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes...

Former Member
0 Kudos

what is the use of additional structure?Is it necessary to define the datatype in additional structure

Former Member
0 Kudos

additional structre is used when default fault message does not have sufficent fields to send the message back in that cases you use additional type.

Is it necessary to define the datatype in additional structure

yes . it is required .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Fault messages are used to propogate / send back the error maessage to the calling application. This is used when there is a failue and the sending system needs to know what the error was. This is more of catching Application Errors.

Also please go through the link below to get the details for fault messages...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/5d/a45c3cff8ca92be10000000a114084/content.htm

Hope this helps

Do get back to me in case you need any more details..

Regards

Kiran..

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks kiran..... it catches the error form standard structure,but what is the need of additional structure