Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion on Coding Mask for Project

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SAP gurus,

I am bit confused on what would be the best codeing mask for project

Clients has requested us to create a coding mask for project structure  (Project defination)

1. First character : C for CAPEX  or O for OPEX
  2. Next two characters are for Plant code : AB for Plant AB , BF for Plant BF , CZ for Plant CZ ( there are 6 plants )
  3. Next five Numeric for Project number : 00001

So there is two ways of creating the coding mask

Option 1 : CAB.-000000.00.00 this will appear as CAB.00001.01.01 for project defination (Note CAB will be the prefix for plant AB , so 6 plants means

6 diffrent  codeing mask for CAPEX projects and 6mask for OPEX project )

Option 2 :  CXX-000000.00.00 this will appear as C is a prefix and user will put AB00001 when creating a project defination for plant AB .

This means 2 codes  are required . One for CAPEX and another for OPEX  .

Can you please suggest , which code is adviseable from usability prespective or any other code suggestions  for my requirement.

Regards

Frazer

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member326603
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Frazer,

Your first option looks feasible rather than second, as also suggested by Clara.

There can be another workaround like,

You can keep first Character as C and O, as one character is mandatory.

Also you can use a separator after C & O which can be (/).

The further coding mask could be  XX-00000. So when you are using XX, you can use any character in its place.

One of your coding mask could be C/AB-00001.01.01.

In this way you will have to create only two coding mask starting with C & O.

With Regards,

Mahendra.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Clara & Mahendra ,

Thank you for your quick response .

I agree to both of you on your above response  , Now I have to decide which is the best option .

Since I have 5 diffrent Project ID ( C =capex , O=Opex , three more ) and I have 5 plants for each .

So it makes 25 coding mask .

So wondering if "option 2" would be better option , as it reduces the coding mask and will avoid confusion among users .

Options Project ID Special Character Coding Mask Remark Complete Code
Option 1 CAB "-"000001.01.01AB = Plant CAB-0000001.01.01
Option 2 C"/"XX-000001.01.01XX = AB=Plant C/AB-0000001.01.01

Thanks & Regards

Frazer

former_member209919
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Frazer,

Both options are correct, then it is your choose.

The advantage of the second one is you don't need create a new mask if you create a new plant.

But be in mind:

If you choose option 1) you shouldn't have previously projects that starts with one of these 25 masks

If you choose option 2) you shouldn't have projects already created that starts with "C", "O"...

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frazer,

I prefer to go with

Option 1 CAB "-"000001.01.01AB = Plant

Whatever the option, system does not let you repeat or duplicate the coding.

Thanks,

Sudhakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Clara ,

In my project , SAP PS is being implemented for the first time. Therefore no previous mask / projects exist.

As I have two correct choices , It is becoming difficult to decide which is best forr the business .

I have discussed both these options with customer , Customer wants me to recommend which is best for them.

Any points on this.

Regards

Frazer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhakar ,

Yes , system does not let us repeat the code .

What is the reason for recommending option 1 ?

Though I have to create 25 Coding mask and new mask every time a plant is created .

Do you mean , this will reduce the manual intervention of users  or error caused when creating a Project defination?

Regards

Frazer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fazer,

Anytime you thought about using validation and standard projects (templates) to define plant specific coding. Though coding mask will bring ease in coding the project and WBS, you will face lot of limitations in future for your requirement.

I believe when you have to use 25 coding masks you should really revisit your design of using coding mask.

Pramod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Clara , Mahendra , Sudhakar and Pramod ,

Thanks for your inputs , I concluded to go ahead with option 2 .

Regards

Frazer

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member209919
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Frazer,

The mask has 2 parts :

1) projID

2) Coding Mask

If I am not wrong, the first character of the coding mask has to be mandatory a "special character" then your second option I think it is not possible. You can try to configure....

I would select the first option ( the only problem is when you create a new plant you will have to configure 2 new masks) 

Not sure if this helps you to take I decision...

Regards,

Clara