cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Howto activate multicast for NW 7.40 kernel?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I installed a small demo NetWeaver 7.40 system on SLES 11, but it refuses to start. The dev_disp.new file contains such messages:

**LOG Q0I=> NiISetSockOpt: setsockopt (19: No such device) [/bas/740_REL/src/base/ni/nixxi.cpp 9121]

*** ERROR => NiISetSockOpt: SiSetSockOpt failed for hdl 1/sock 6

(SI_EADDR_NAVAIL/19; I4; DG; IPPROTO_IP-IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP) [nixxi.cpp    9121]

*** ERROR => NiIDgHdlGroupAdm: failed to join 224.0.0.129 on interface 0.0.0.0 [nixxi.cpp    9539]

*** ERROR => RqQInit: NiDgHdlJoinGroup failed (rc=-10) [dpQueue.c    1481]

*** ERROR => DpIPCInit2: RqQInit [dpxxtool2.c  508]

*** DP_FATAL_ERROR => DpSapEnvInit: DpIPCInit2

*** DISPATCHER EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN ***

I found SAP knowledge base article 1932555  - Dispatcher startup issue with SAP Kernel 740 which tells me:

"Confirm that the affected server supports multicast, and that it has at least one network interface that supports multicast;"

What is the easiest way to activate the multicast address network 224.0.0.0/24 on a standard x86 network interface?

Regards,

Mark

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That note says to issue the following route: 

route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 <interface>

You should be able to find the interface by using 'ifconfig'; but you will also need to ensure that you don't have a firewall enabled and set to block the communication on the server itself.  Also it may not hurt to check with your co-workers to learn if they disabled multi-cast support in the OS all together?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Billy,

I misunderstood the note. I thought that first such a multicast IP needs to be assigned to a network interface, and then a static route should be set. Now I see that just setting the route suffices.

Thanks,

Mark

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good to hear that the issue was resolved, and thank you for updating the post!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

please post the following output to verify and suggest the correct procedure / answer.

shell> ifconfig -a

shell> netstat -g

shell> netstat -rn

Regards

Stefan