Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POWL Admin Layout Variant only called per default on init, but not afterwards

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

System Info

NW AS 7.03 ABAP Stack 731 Level 8, ECC 606 (EHP 6) with SAP_HR 604 Level 65 and EA_HR 607 (HR-Renewal 1) Level 16

Background

I've create an Admin Layout Variant for the POWL Application ID FITV-POWL-TRIPS, respectively POWL-Query ID FITV_POWL_TRIPS (referring to POWL User defined Settings or Views - Web Dynpro ABAP - SCN Wiki). This Layout variant is supposed to be used only and by default. To achieve this, I've set the flag 'Initial View' (loosely translated from German, see screenshot) in the Admin Settings and removed the Dropdown-Box for the Selection of the view programatically in the POWL_TABLE UI-Component.

Problem:

The Application has, according to my settings, two tabs. Each one of these tabs has got the said layout variant for its query and it is called on the initial access on this tab, so far it works well as intended. However, when navigating to the other tab and then navigating back to the first one, the SAP Standard Layout is called again, instead of my custom layout. This has nothing to do with the cache or the refresh function, I could rule these out, but now I'm kind of stuck. I'm not sure whether I'm missing a configuration, whether this is 'standard behavior' or just a nasty bug and I'm unsure where (technically) I should start my error analysis.

Any comments are highly appreciated.

Cheers, Lukas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

gill367
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I tried exactly the same scenario.

It is behaving properly for my system.

even i navigate to any tab and comeback to the first tab it is showing the new layout variant only.

My SAP system is ehp4.

Regards,

Sarbjeet

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Sarbjeet,

this is really nerve-wracking though.... do you happen to know where exactly, programatically, the Layout Variant for the table is polled and set? In any case, I go dive into the generic POWL WD-Component now to find that son of a gun..

Cheers, Lukas

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Insight after Debugging: The Component Customizing (admin personalization)  simply is discarded, but only in case I do not explicitly change the layout variant with a user action. For example:

1. Initial Call of the POWL WDA --> My Layout Variant is called for the first tab

2. Without doing anything else, I switch to the second tab --> My Layout Variant is called for the second tab

3. I switch back to the first tab --> the component customizing is discarded and the SALV switches back to the SAP default

4. I switch to the second tab again --> the component customizing is discarded as well and the SALV switches back to the SAP default

However:

1. Initial Call of the POWL WDA --> My Layout Variant is called for the first tab

2. I explicitely select my Layout Variant in the Dropdown box again (which doesn't make sense enduserwise, but anyway)

3. I switch to the second tab

4. I switch back to the first tab and my custom Layout Variant is still in use

--> I switch back and forth numerous times but the custom layout variant remains active.

@ Sarbjeet, can you please confirm that, in your system, you did NOT explicitly select your VIEW_1 layout variant from the dropdown-box but had it set as default in the POWL Layout Customizing Dialog and you still don't encounter the problem I describe?

*draws pentagram* I summon thee! Have you ever encountered the problem that some layout variant for a table/salv in admin personalization (since POWL customizing is admin personalization, technically) went haywire like I described in my opening post?

Cheers, Lukas

gill367
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lukas,

Yes I dint select it manually.

You can try saving the standard layout as some user defined variant without changing anything in the layout and then see whether it is still switching to standard layout.

It could be some issue with the cache also but not sure.

Regards,

Sarbjeet SIngh

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sarbjeet,

thanks for the help.

I gave up searching for the error cause, deleted everything I maintained so far and set it up anew (in the exact same fashion) and now it works.... there's no difference to the prior set up at all (I followed my own documentation in the re-setup). I fricking hate the POWL-technology... -_-

I'm just glad it works now, but on the other hand it's frustrating not to have learnt what caused this strange occurrence.. oh well..

Cheers, Lukas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

bumpity.

I wager I'm not the only one ever to engage this... 'feature'?

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Has nobody ever encountered this? ... time to raise a support message I guess 😞