cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BOM master data maintainance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

For BOM master data maintainance is MDG custom object implementation is a good option or to go for plm functionality is better option ?

If someone have implementated PLM already is there any need to implement SAP MDG custom object for SAP BOM ?

Please suggest.

Regards,

Soumya De

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Soumya,

Regarding the use of MDG for a BOM scenario, please take a look at SAP Note 1703308. This note outlines the type of BOM usage for which MDG would be appropriate.

MDG is not designed to replace PLM in a customer's landscape and as you note, there are scenarios that are quite appropriate for PLM and MDG working alongside each other. This integration is essentially call(s) from PLM into MDG at the times in the PLM process where you need a material to be created. You would then call an MDG change request to create the material following your governance process. Perhaps initially this might be a "partially created" material and then later in the process, an update CR would be called to fully govern and create all of the views as needed. This integration is possible and could be implemented via an SAP consulting solution.   

If you need more information on this, please let me know.

Best,

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David

I am working on SAP MDG project with integration PLM solution

Do you have documents to understand the process and integration points between both solution ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sébastien

Former Member
0 Kudos

The solution is still a "consulting" solution. See this thread: Integration scenario with PLM | SCN.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Soumya,

BOM master data maintenance in MDG could be achieved via MDG custom object implementation.

But this would be completely a standalone framework and has no integration with PLM.

SAP is going for new product to handle Asset Management related objects with Utopia in MDG. This includes BOM also. Please check

MDG for EAM™

2146526 - SAP Master Data Governance, enterprise asset management extension by Utopia 7.1 Release I...

How Useful is SAP MDG in SAP EAM Module | SCN