cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decentralized SErver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are planning to implement SAP in our 3 companies located in three different cities. It was recommended to us to install R/3 servers at one location and connect users from other branches through communication lines. However, communication lines in our cities are not very stable and we are expecting frequent break down in communication lines. This disconnection will create problem in our sales operation in branches. As an alternate solution, can we install local SAP production server in City1, another production server in city 2 and , third production server in head office. During the day all user work on their local production servers and at the end of the day, we replicate data from city 1 & 2 servers to head office main server. Please advise Is it technically possible ??? what are advantage and disadvantage of this approach ??

Regards

Anwer Waseem

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anwer,

What you suggesting will mean mutiple database servers also which will be out of sync while users are working. I really dont think that it is a good approach.I think by replication you mean applying re do logs. How do you ensure data consistency in this case since we are talking about mutiple sources.? How do you ensure replication takes place in sequence since again we have mutiple sources of data. Technically lot of things are possible but we need to consider their inmpact on business and the processes.I dont think it is a good approach at all,

Though this is my personal opinion.

Moreover before taking such a decision you should consult SAP directly.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ruchit / Sunil

We already maintained the Centralized Landscape, we are using the FrameRelay Network, we are facing the problem to upgarding the network. we have been tested the VSAT network which response is very slow and users were complaining from branches to work through VSAT. FrameRelay cannot upgrade due to Telecommunciation infrastructure does not supoort between cities. Wi-Max not yet mature between cities, we are in rush to go live soon. we have two options, to continue to work on FrameRelay network till other fast network availability or decentrlized the servers.

If do we think to decentralized the servers, how wil upgrade the our main servers.

REgards

Anwer Waseem

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should not use VSAT as primary network, this should be use only as backup if your main link like (LeasedLine, Internet connection etc) goes down. Also try to implement Ctrix thin client, if you use CTRIX then SAP application work very fast even on VSAT.

Cheers,

-Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

We were switched to VSAT link 512 Kbps and we try to use the SAP Server through Citrix but we did not achieve the result.

Please i need yours support how will do the updating on the production servers.

REgards

Anwer Waseem

Former Member
0 Kudos

your VSAT link 512 kbps is not working? how many location you have connected to your main office? do you also use any other applications over the network? like email, internet? it should work, we have the same setup with 128kbps VSAT link and CTRIX installed, which works very fine without any problem. Anyway I will try to search documentation for centralization of data.

cheers,

-Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes, this is possible, but you have to maintane 3 servers and BASIS acitivty will be increased. you have to apply patches/kernel upgrade for all the servers. also you have to make sure that all the servers are in SYNC. if something goes wrong with the server you have to rush to the site.

There are many options available now a days, you have following options to connect your branch offices to your head office.

1) Leased Line

2) VSAT

3) Via internet (ISDN)

4) now a days you can also get bandwidth from mobile networks.

Cheers,

-Sunil