cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Use of Solution Manager Development System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

We are having a two system landscape for the solution manager system. All the managed systems are connected to Production system.

At the moment we are using the solution manager for MOPZ, CHARM, Alert Monitoring & EWA. Basically we are not making use of the Development system for anything other than implementing SAP Notes.

Could you please guide me the best approach to use the development system. Earlier while doing the patching activity for the solution manager system we are unable to test the functionality and the production is effected after the patching. we are trying to avoid this kind of situations.

Thanks

Pavan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

You can have the option like all the production systems connected to Production solman, so configure P systems ewa, mopz, rca, techmon to production solman.

Other case for all the D and Q system in your landscape can connect to Dev Solman,

This scenario would be very helpful in the case of RCA and Technical monitoring to reduce the workload and space constraints of production solution manager box.

And you can use Dev solman for testing new functionality  and building prototypes.

Please check

Thanks

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jansi

Like i have mentioned in my initial post we do have CHARM implemented in Production Solution Manager. If we split the DEV & QA systems to Development Solution Manager, then we would have two LMDB's one for PROD Solman and one for DEV Solman. Will this not effect the CHARM configuration. Is this kind of scenario supported by CHARM.

Thanks

Pavan

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

The answer is given in SAP Master Guide(5.1.1Landscape Recommendation)

https://websmp206.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000288992011E.PDF

Now for the time being forget above and tell me do you use ECC DEV box for development or use any feature live in it. NO right ?

I hope you got the answer that dev means only for the team who is going to build and test functionalities and not for the live usage rather Production is for live usage of functionalities.

It doesn't matter charm or CUA or tech ops etc every managed system must be connected to PRD where functionalities will be used and you can check that in guide as well.

With practical experience of more than 10+ big SAP customer's I can tell you this is the best practice.

Hope this answer your query completely

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

You must consider in other way, most logically, Why we need 2 solution manager? 1. To reduce the load 2. For prototype purpose , might be other reasons like CUA. But the first 2 are major.

To reduce system load : Here only TecHMon and RCA is under consideration, Charm/ITSM is not part of it.

Prototype: Here all scenarios (like charm/itsm) come in, But only as test purpose,

Some of the action items for 2 solution manager for either of the above use cases,

- You must have LMDB/ Managed system configuration done for both dev and Prd systems, this is very similar to SMSY, you must have all system connected via RFC in both solution manager, only thing you can skip is connecting DIA agents for RCA,connect DEV system DIA agents to Dev solman and PRD system DIA agent to PRD Solman,

- CHARM/ Service desk scenario you can use the dev solman for prototype purpose, since all the RFC/ managed system config already available in dev solman too.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks

Jansi

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

I don't agree with having 2 different systems live with different functionalities as neither this is  the best practice nor you can restrict any customer that today you only implement Tech Ops and no ITSM etc

Also, if any customer has live tech ops on one system  and ITSM on other do you expect them not to integrate even in future

In addition, support team should work in 2 different system in practicality its difficult and looses the advantage of solman and rather customer will go for 3rd party software working in isolation.

if yes for integration then you have to implement integration b/w 2 systems whereas customer will be happy if all functionalities are live in one box and OUT OF BOX integrated with each other.

As far as loading is considered SAP has given a beautiful tool known as Solution Manager Sizing Tool which you can use to determine the hardware etc with scenarios selected as per customer requirement

Let me also share that if you attend SAP trainings like SM300 etc then SAP will teach you how to transport Business Process Monitoring setup across solman dev to solman production etc. so its not only ITSM but rather other functionalities as well.

Hope you got your query answered.

Regards,

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

The functionality of SOLMAN which are being used by you are related only to production server. If you use test automation etc then you can make use of your development system.

More over the patches can be first implemented on the development system, then tested and then needs to be moved to the production system. Since you don't have any quality system for testing hence both deployment and testing needs to be done on the development system only.

Regards