cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Handing in XI BPM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am trying create error handling mechanism in SAP XI BPM. I want that if during

'Transformation' step any error occurs then i should be able to capture the error message and log it in a file on a FTP Server.

Can anybody suggest how should i go about it?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I hope yes we can do it ,

for that create a UDF based on some condition and raise the runtime exception from message mapping stating that failure.. this can be achieved in transformation step failure and this error can be captured and raise alert.

to raise alert similar type example see in the below link

Reconciliation of Messages in BPM - /people/krishna.moorthyp/blog/2006/04/08/reconciliation-of-messages-in-bpm

plz clarify if you have any doubts..

Regards

Chilla..

<i>points rewarded if it is helpful..</i>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chilla,

you cant capture the exact errors.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

what is meaning of exact error..???

Chilla..

Former Member
0 Kudos

By Exact Error I mean 'what ever error has occur during that particular step in BPM'.

It could mapping error, data error, some database exception..any exception..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ranjeet ,

you cant capture this.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ranjeet,

Would not be possible with a BPM.

The BPM exception hanbdler is just similar to a Try - Catch in Java. The only difference is that while in Java you get to read the Exception Message, in your BPM cannot.

You can only decide on the steps to be taken in case an error occurs in the Exception handler.

XI's Alert framework ( Alerts without BPM ) that way allow you better monitoring in the fact that you can get the Error Category and Error Text in the Alert message. This can also be forwarded as an Email.

But, even this has some limiations.

Say you get a mapping error. In moni you will have error as Mapping Error -- Execption During Execute - Followed by detailed description of what the error was ( eg : Source Does not confirm to XSD .. etc etc ) . XI's alert framework will allow you to get details like Mapping Error and Exception During Exectute but again the entire Errror Descrption cannot be sent.

a limtiation, but am pretty sure, SAP must be working on it.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

correct ranjeet , it is mapping error. so if any such type of error occurs then we can raise/throw Runtime exception from message mapping see the below blog

to do such type of handling..

/people/alessandro.guarneri/blog/2006/01/26/throwing-smart-exceptions-in-xi-graphical-mapping

Regards

Chilla..

<i>points rewarded if it is helpful..</i>

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Chilla,

Ranjeet wants to capture the exact error message in a file in the BPM.

Even if he does throw a RunTime Exception in the mapping, all that will happen is that the exception handler block will be triggered, the error data will not be passed.

The blog by Alessandro just shows a means of how to add info to the Error Message in MONI and if i understood the requirement correct, this does not help ranjeet's requirements.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes Bhavesh,

you are right. Generally what I have found in other EAI tools, we have some pallets or say EAI objects which automatically capture the error ,and based on the error message or error code we can either send appropiate mails with all the details of error or log the error in database/file for further debugging process.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ranjeet,

This is also available with XI. Look at this blog to configure XI alerts without a BPM,

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/09/09/xi-alerts--step-by-step">XI Alerts- Step by Step</a>

The only issue is that the entire Error Text will not be available in the Alert. The Alert text can have the message id , sender service, error text ( in brief ) etc and so using this monitoring can then become easier. Maybe not as comprehensive as someother EAI tool, but I guess it is just a matter of time before XI provides the same features as well.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the given blog is only , how to raise runtime exception not for the ranjeet problem.

If any mapping error occurs then we need to handle in that UDF so it is not that mu ch easy , you would have to take all considrations depends upon the business logic..

I hope it can be handled ..see the ranheet problem is transformation error to be captured so ..transformation means it is the MM error in any case.this to be handled.

Regards

Chilla..

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ranjeeth,

i think you cant capture the exact error log from 'Transoformation' step . other way you can trigger a alert by configuring alerts in BPM if any errors situation occures.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ranjeet,

You can use the Exception handling block in the BPM to trigger the Exception handler and send the message / alert to the file server.

But, it will not be possible to capture the error message due to which the error occured. You will only be able to intimate / trigger a alert/ use some other process as per requirement. But, trapping exact error message will not be possible.

To have automatic intimation where you can also get the error message details, you can use XI's Alert Framework without the bpm.

Regards

Bhavesh