Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Transfer from PC via SAP PI

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

The requirement is for PI to pick files from a local PC and send to somewhere else (other directory or proxy). The local PC is in the same network as PI - verified by a successful LAN check ping in PI (os01) to the IP address of the local PC. Is this scenario possible perhaps without FTP?

Appreciate your advice regarding this.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

gagandeep_batra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

first share some directory from your local desktop, put  file in that directory

and check if this directory is accessible from your PI server means open that directory in your explorer

if yes, then use that path in your file channel with NFS option.

Regards

Gagan

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gagan,

Sorry but what did you exactly mean by 'check if this directory is accessible from your PI server means open that directory in your explorer'? Can you elaborate more please?

Thanks

gagandeep_batra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

AS Vries & inaki said  it isn’t a good practice to share the local folder for that.

but for my means:

first log-in to your PI server then open run & put like below:

\\IP address of your Desktop\ your share folder

if your directory is  open then give that path in CC.

Regards

Gagan

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gagan,

Got it. Thanks. I'll ask the basis guy to check. But PI is running in Unix and I'm thinking it could cause some issue since the shared folder is a Windows folder?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Ask you Unix administrators to create a mount for this shared folder on the Unix PI machine. They will then also tell you the exact path to use.

Kind regards,

Koen

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Koen - hi!

Thanks for the advice! I'll check that with our admin.

BR Mark

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We've just introduced FTP between the PC and PI to facilitate the file transfer instead of mounting the directory. Thanks again for all your valuable inputs.

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

To be honest, this seems like a report program (upload interface) and not a PI interface. Don't think it is necessary to involve PI here.

Hope it helps!

Ambrish

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ambrish,

PI would facilitate the file transfer from the local PC to ECC.

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Koen and Inaki,

The folder where the files are placed is a shared folder but is also password protected. The local PC where they store the files have been around from quite some time and they said that it never goes off. When I try NFS in the sender channel, I just get 'directory does not exist' error.

gagandeep_batra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

For password protected folder:  you can add the permission to that folder for PI user.

Regards

gAGan

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Is it your PI a dual stack one?, you can use in the ABAP side the transaction al11 and navigate in the directory structure in order to check if the directory is accesible.

Regards.

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Inaki,

Unfortunately, my access is not authorized to use this transaction.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

My few cents,

It's possible as Gagandeep said below, but in my opinion it isn’t a good idea to let all local networks to share the directory system with the PI. I would use a shared directory in a third machine where all PCs can connect with login/password security at least; finally this directory could be accessible to PI via NFS.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Why do you want to use a local PC? Is it not possible to use a file share on the network that can be accessed from both SAP PI and the local PC?

The reason why I ask is that local PC's are not always available (switched off at night, reboots etc), which can cause your communication channels in SAP PI to generate errors.

Also, if the local PC is (temporarily) replaced you will need to re-configure the scenario if you use local files.

Kind regards,

Koen

markbernabe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Koen,

The files that needs to be processed are stored in a directory in a local PC that is always running. So what's needed is for PI to access this directory, get the files and send to some other receiving system.