cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle specific system copy for database running with Oracle ASM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We have ECC 6.0 SR3 systems running with Oracle ASM. There are two disk groups are created for Oracle ASM.

Database:  Oracle 11.2.0.3

Could we use the oracle specific system copy (RMAN backup and restore) to refresh current QAS system?

Appriciate your answers!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Benjamin, Thanks a lot for your information. The links are useful. It is the steps for file system.  I hope to get the links or document for oracle ASM.

I have finished serveral SAP migration projects from Solaris/Oracle to Linux/Oracle, from AIX/Oracle to HP-UX/oracle independently. But ASM is new for me, I hope to get some information and provide it to my customer that system copy with backup/resotre option works for Oracle ASM.

Could you please share some links or document about system copy with backup/restore option for Oracle ASM? 

Appriciate your great support!

Former Member
0 Kudos

ASM is more or less just a storage mainly used for RAC installations.

If you don't use RAC you can still use ASM for your storage needs instead of storing files in the filesystem directly.

With that said all client tools that access the database via the listener should work with ASM based Oracle databases as they do with filesystem based Oracle databases.

So you can use RMAN and all other tools to create backups and restore from these backups. You just have to configure some options to fit ASM needs. Oracle has a lot of documentation on how to configure an Oracle database for ASM, f.e. a migration guide for filesystem to ASM migration.

Best Practices for Migrating SAP Environments - Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are preparing to perform the system copy with backup/restore option from PRD to QAS.  We need to provide some documents to prove it can be done successfully.  I didn't find any thing which mentioned system copy with  backup/restore option from SAP website.

Have you done if before?

Could you please share any notes or documents which mentioned it ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Could we use the oracle specific system copy (RMAN backup and restore) to refresh current QAS system?

Yes you can.

Regards

RB

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good Morning,

Yes you can use the Homogeneous System Copy guide with the backup restore option

Best Regards

Marius