cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PI for non-SAP scenarios: recommended?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi !

I would like to hear about disadvantages about using SAP PI for no-SAP to no-SAP scenarios. We are already using it to expose SAP to the no-SAP landscape,

We are now evaluating the use of it for other scenarios not involving SAP at all. Based on your own experience, is there any major disadvantage in using this product vs another world class middleware?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Matias.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matias,

>>>already using it to expose SAP to the no-SAP landscape,

So prefer to go ahead with SAP PI for "no-SAP to no-SAP scenarios" too, why you want to invest $ for another middleware tool ?.

Thanks

Agasthuri

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matias,

This is a question that you should take into account different views. PI has enough adapters to fulfill the most cases of integration in the usual business scenarios with a powerful monitoring system and easy and quick way to create the scenarios. However, sometimes the business landscape has interfaces already created inside the company and the time and risks to create new scenarios could not be a right decision, the old rule if it works don’t touch it. You should to measure the necessity of monitoring these process and if the risk of adaptation is worthy. To communication offside the business landscape, if the change is not enormous, I prefer to take the PI advantages: monitorization, communication centralized, persistence, scalability, etc

For new developments I think is better to use the most times the PI tool because to have decentralized interfaces could be unmaintainable. Although, sometimes there are scenarios which PI can’t deal or you must do a new adapter or a module development, in this cases I prefer to check with the endpoints programmers the advantages and disadvantages of using the PI. Also, a java environment is a favorable point to PI, there is a language and community wide and in continuous growth.

In conclusion, there isn’t a straight answer to your question but I can assure in the usual cases is better to use a middleware like PI even there with no-SAP systems.

Regards,.

former_member91687
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matias

The question you have is too open/vast to be answered specifically, however since sap pi/po is already in productive use in your landscape it may be better to leverage that investment.

If you have not already, you could also refer to the gartner report where sap has been positioned as a leader in this space.

Regards

Chandra

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

IMO, SAP PI is a matured and becoming competitive middleware tool in the market. You can do many standard communication/protocols using this.  So you don't need to introduce another middleware for your scenario. You can very well use PI for non sap to non sap systems.  In my projects there are some scenarios like file to jdbc , file to Mail usage we use  PI itself and no issues.