cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade NWDI to 7.31 or 7.4, for Portal 7.31?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are going to upgrade our NWDI from NW 7.01 SP7, as we are using nwdi for our Portal/Java & our portal is on NW 7.31 , what's the best possible version for NWDI ,NW 7.4 or NW 7.31?

Thanks for your response. 

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

what's the best possible version for NWDI ,NW 7.4 or NW 7.31?

It depends on the what you want to achieve with the portal.

First read these SAP notes

1751237  - Add. info about the update/upgrade to SAP NetWeaver 7.4

1850327  - SP Equivalence for update/upgrade to SAP NW 7.4

Additionally read the referenced notes mentioned at the bottom.

Personally I wouldn't go for 7.4 release now as it is quite new.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Why do you need to upgrade it .

Do you still have some other project in there that you might need in future. I thing installing an new NWDI is better.

If still wish to upgrade you should read the below blog

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1775010

NWDI is only a framework, it can have any release, and still you'll be able to develop for any releases.

An example, theoretically a 640 NWDI can be used to develop 720 projects (an other question we don't recommend 640 any more as it is pretty old version and has way less features like higher releases).

The relevant questions regarding the development are:

1 what is the version of the track (more precisely what is the version of the dependent software components)

2 what is the version of the runtime system where I deploy to.

Obviously these 2 must be the same release and SP version.

There are both side you might have to think of.

What is new in NWDI 7.4 and not in NW 7.31 and is it going to impact your project if no them go with NW7.31.

As it is using same kernel 7.20 rahter than 740 kernel.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rishi,

good questions, is it really necessary to upgrade NWDI ?

What is their current version of NWDI ?

One thing not to forget is if running older versions of NWDI, eg 7.0x and newer versions of CE or EP, don't forget about setting up the correct version of the JVM to build the activities against.

It will be interesting to see the answers to all these questions and understand the scenario more.

Best regards,

Andy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

you can download the complete NWDS without doing initial updating via the update site. Prior to 730 (and higher than 70X, i.e. for 710, 711 and 720) you can download an "empty NWDS" which you have to update via the update site, but again for 730 and 731 you can get it in one step by simply downloading the latest available version.

Thanks

Shrikant