cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sap DMS implimenation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to impliment Sap DMS system in our company, Platform ECC6 EHP5 on windows.

Do we need seperate license for sap dms,Sap DMS Implimentation can be handled by Sap Basis consultant alone or with help of functional consultants, what would be the expected project duration.

Please guide....

best regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joji Mathew,

Check this link. It has some very important points for DMS Implementation by Athol Hill. This article will be very helpfull for you.

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/profile/SAP+and+Open+Text+-+The+relationship+explained

With Warm Regards

Mangesh Pande

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joji Mathew,

Ravi has answered your licensing questions.

Q2. Sap DMS Implimentation can be handled by Sap Basis consultant alone or with help of functional consultants

Ans:- I am sorry, But I am being blunt here. You need a good SAP DMS consultant for implementation who has at least done 4 SAP DMS Implementation with better domain experience. If you ask any SAP Consultant to do the implementation he will do it and you will save cost. But he will work as configurator and the effect of implemenation you will see after some time(disaster) when user will be after you. I have seen many companys who ask their PP, MM, SD, QM , PM , PS, ABAP consultant to do this job. At end they create disaster.

DOcument Management implementation is long term startegy of a organization like any other modules. Its not easy. So to decide strategy the person responsible should be matured enough to tackle this job.

Q3. what would be the expected project duration

Ans:- I think you should take steps to first understand you organization requirements from Document Management perspective. Put all the requirements togather, then choose a products that satisfy you requirements. Do product evaluation based on your requirements keeping Cost and long terms TCO in mind. Take demos or walk throughs of Products . Once prouct and requirements are finalized then decide timeline.I would not recommend any timeline here as I dont know what is your organization requirement.

I had a experience where My client decided to go for SAP DMS implementation and during Business Blueprint they switch to OpenText. Because they did'nt do their Home work properly.

So message:- Plan and execute.

WIth Warm Regards

Mangesh Pande

ravi_ekambaram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joji,

Q1-Ans: If you are already having SAP Business Suite licenses, then DMS is part of ECC. No extra licenses are required. But It is always recommended to contact your SAP Accounts manager for details on licences.

Q2-Ans : DMS implementation requires both BASIS and functional consultant. BASIS consultant will provide you technical support for implementation like Separate Content Server installation and configuration with DMS. Functional consultant will have to do Customizing settings, testing etc.,

Q3-Ans: Project duration depends on lot of factors, business requirements largely. With my experience it may take approx. 2 months.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks you very much for the reply.

Could you please share implimentation documents like project plan , project preparation etc...with configuration steps...

regards

joji

ravi_ekambaram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joji,

For configuration & other details, you can refer the following useful links..

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/PLM/SAP+Document+Management+System

http://help.sap.com/bp_af603/BBLibrary/Documentation/223_BB_ConfigGuide_EN_IN.doc

Project plan roughly can have following major steps-

1) Identification of key business critical documents

2) Understanding the business processes involved for each document

3) Configure

4) Test

5) Training etc.,

Regards,

Ravi

PS:Please reward points if above information provided were useful.