cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New landscape for new company

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus

I need to create a new landscape for a new company and i was wondering if it is possible to copy customizing and workbench from an already existing development (that follow same business processes) in order to make the new implementation easier and less expensive.

Does it make sense? Is it possible?

All ideas are really appreciated

Regards

a

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can just do a system copy from an existing system to create the development system for your new landscape. If the implementations are going to be similar enough this does make perfect sense.

The system copy process (homogeneous or heterogeneous depending on whether the hardware platforms are the same or different) is well documented. Look for the guides in the Service Marketplace.

I'm curious about what you mean by "new company" though. Why does it need a separate landscape?

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve

that was one of the two options but then I realised that I cannot build the production system as per best practices (fresh system installation and import all transport requests), correct?

I manage already an up&running scenario and a new company joined the group but they want a dedicated sap landscape, did i answer to your question?

Thank you for your help

Let me know

a

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you start with a system copy to build the new DEV system then you'll have to build subsequent systems by system copy also. I would copy DEV to QA, and then copy probably QA to build PRD. This does mean you need to be a little careful about transports, but this process works well.

This is, in fact, how I built my original ERP landscape. I didn't do a fresh install for QA and PRD followed by transports. I built QA and PRD by system copy.

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Finally we talk same language

tbh this is the answer that i was seeking for ... So im not the only one (in the past)that built a prod copying from qual, i thought that was illegal Now the real question is if i can sell a nostandard sap procedure...

Anyway I'll flag your answer as right

thank you for your help

have a nice weekend

a

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Andrea,

What matters is whether you need the data from the old system or not.

If the new group or the company is not going to do anything with the existing data then fresh installation is the best option.

Bear in mind that if you follow the system copy method to build production then how will you run the BDLS ?

You should not run BDLS on production systems.

Read this SAP note

Note 544509 - ALE: Converting the name of the "logical system"

I suggest you to raise an OSS message and clarify this.

Regards

RB

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Andrea

System copy is a an option but the question is do you really want the data used by the other company for this new company or not.

If they don't need then new installation will be the best.

Secondly if the present systems are non-unicode I would suggest to have new installation as they will be unicode systems.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan

nice to see you again

As i told to Steve, system copy is one of two options (and my favourite) but then how can i create the rest of the landscape (mainly prod) following best practices? (btw the new company doesn't need old data)

Fresh installation is of course second option but you will agree that is more expensive than copy the already configured development system (if it is possible...)

all systems are unicode

cheers

a

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear

U could start with the fresh installation and still use the old request to the new instance and import to the new dev system by first copying on to it's os level .rest u know

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chander

i dont believe that's right path to follow. The dev is 4years old and was created without ehp...

Anyway thank you for your help

a