Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI for JAVA Mac OS X 10.9

0 Kudos

Hello,

I've installed yesterday the new Mac OS X Mavericks and I've stumbled upon an issue.

I have the latest JAVA JDK and JRE installed (1.7.0_45) and everything work perfect except when I try to run SAP GUI for Java ver 7.30 r4. It asks for JAVA 6 and prompts me for installing it.

In the previous version of Mac OS X I was using, the java used to run SAP GUI was 1.7 ang it worked perfect.

Can anyone give me some guidance points regarding this?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

• SAP Managed Tags:
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ciprian,

I had this issue as well - same setup as you.  To resolve it, just install Java 6 at the prompt and SAP GUI for Java will start working again

I'm not sure if installing this older version has any disadvantages; my Java console still reports me as using Java 7 update 45 - so I guess 6 must have been immediately disabled. 

I'd be interested to hear if there are any security implications of doing this though - it doesn't seem right that we should be required to install Java 6 here.

• SAP Managed Tags:
9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ciprian,

I had this issue as well - same setup as you.  To resolve it, just install Java 6 at the prompt and SAP GUI for Java will start working again

I'm not sure if installing this older version has any disadvantages; my Java console still reports me as using Java 7 update 45 - so I guess 6 must have been immediately disabled. 

I'd be interested to hear if there are any security implications of doing this though - it doesn't seem right that we should be required to install Java 6 here.

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hello,

which step results in being asked for installing Java 6, double clicking the SAP GUI for Java installer jar file or double clicking the SAP GUI app icon?

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

When you double-click the icon in your dock

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hello all,

Thank you for your answers.

When you try to run the app it prompts you for Java 6. You can choose to install it or not. If you do, it install it and after that Java Gui starts. If you look at the "About" section it states that it uses Java 1.7.

It's a strange thing actually.

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hello,

we can reproduce what you are saying.

We are currently locking into the launch mechanism to understand, who want's to have this Java 6 and why.

For now, the only solution is to install both Java 6 and 7. SAP GUI for Java 7.30 will use Java 7 then.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

OK, waiting forward for updates!

Thanks,

Ciprian

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hello Ciprian,

we are in the process of testing a workaround for the issue caused by the OS X Finder, checking for some properties of the Oracle JVM.

In case it works, this will go into 7.30 rev 5.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hi Rolf-Martin,

Your reply is almost 1 year old so kindly update me If I'm missing something...

Did you find out the solution post your testing as mentioned by you in Nov 13, 2013 ?

Please reply...

Best Regards

Zaheer

• SAP Managed Tags:

0 Kudos

Hello Zaheer,

from the release notes of SAP GUI for Java 7.30 rev 5:

• Support for New OS Versions:
    • OS X Mavericks
  • OS X only:
    • Launching the application bundle now is possible without having Java 6 installed. Before, the Finder used to check for the availability of the Java 6 runtime, which at the end, has not been used anyway. As a result of the chances, it is also technically no longer possible at all to run SAP GUI for Java 7.30 using Java 6.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags: