cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Oracle to SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to SAP. We have NetWeaver in our company and I have been asked to establish a connection to SAP from our Oracle database. We need to extract data from SAP into Oracle to do some reporting.

I am familiar with using Oracle's DG4ODBC and I have been struggling to find articles if I can use this.

Has anybody achieved this or any advice as to how to achieve this?

EA

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

scott_stefanich
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The following approaches do not require SAP NetWeaver Gateway, but two options are:

1. ABAP Database Connection (ADBC)

- Create an Oracle DB Connection via transaction DBACOCKPIT -> DB Connections.

- In ABAP, establish a database connection, send SQL to the database, and handle the results.

Native SQL can be used or a dynamic equivalent as demonstrated in this SAP example.

One of Thomas Jung's many incredible blogs is ABAP/HANA Connectivity via Secondary Database Connection. While the topic is in the context of SAP HANA, the blog includes specific examples of creating a database connection, then using it in Open SQL, Native SQL, or ADBC via Native SQL.

2. Remote Function Call (RFC)

- Create a RFC-enabled SAP Function Module

- Call the RFC (or a web service for the RFC) in an application which updates the Oracle database.

A third option may be "SAP HANA": If a question includes the word "Oracle", the answer is very likely "SAP HANA"

--- Scott

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi !

You can add something in tnsnames of sap server:

ORABASE.WORLD =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = orahost.mycompany.local)(PORT = 1521))

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

(SID = ORABASE)

(GLOBAL_NAME = ORABASE)

)

)

And use transaction DBCO to call this database from SAP. Also you may need an extended OCL drivers as part of sap kernel.

SAP not recommends to connect into his databases, it is license violation. But you can send data from SAP to other databases, it's OK.