cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERP 6.0 EHP7/NW740 vs ERP 6.0 EHP6/NW731

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are in the process of deciding whether to upgrade from EHP5 to EHP6 or go straight to EHP7. I have been informed that EHP7 has a significant change to the underlying architecture, hence the 740 kernel is not downward compatilble. I'm wondering if the group can assist with the following concerns:

• What are the risks of going to EHP7 given the fact that we would not be changing to a HANA database?
  • What are the high level advantages of EHP7 over EHP6? Are they mostly/all HANA related?
  • Are there any changes required to customer ABAP programs that will be required or is everything in the ABAP world still downward compatible?
  • Is there a note describing the general hardware upgrade (if any) required? For example, 5% memory, 4% disk, 10% CPU?
  • I've used SUM to upgrade a sandbox to EHP6 is there any difference going to EHP7/NW740?
  • Am I in the correct discussion group? It's been a while since I've been on SCN.

Our platform is IBM iSeries and we only have ABAP (no Java).

Thanks,

Craig

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

1. Go to EHP7 as it will include lots of the support packs you will need to put in to EHP6.  It will save you having to do this later anyhow.

2. There are lots of extra features in EHP7 - we are using the parts for  telco billing and Convergent Charging.

3. ABAP programs are the same

4. I didn't look - it's an EHP - officially an 'update' rather than upgrade.

5. SUM is the same - ensure you use SP8 (the latest) as (a) it fixes lots of bugs, and (b) you can tune it to Near Zero Downtime.  Some chaps have found that production downtime has reduced from 8 hours to 3 - so it's worth doing.

6. Yes, you are in the right group - welcome back.

PS - I performed an EHP6 and EHP7 this year, and the process is exactly the same.

hope this helps.

Regards,

Graham