cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple date Dimesions on a Fact -BOBJ Universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a fact table that has several date key fields (Start date, End date,.... )  which all related to the same Date fiels (Calender Date ) in the date master , and date master holds Weekending ,Month and Year .

I have objects Count (Based on start date ) , Count(Based on end date), region , Month,Calender Date

My users should able to generate a report by selecting date range using calender date only .But, the way I have achived above requirement is by creating Alias on calender table and creating date objects as Start date, Start Date month, End date,End date Month  as opposed to having centric Calendadate and Month.

So my report looks as, Count (Based on start date ) , Count(Based on end date), region , StartMonth,StartCalender Date,End Month,End calenderMonth.

Can you help me with the logic to implement above with out using alias.SSAS calls it as " Role-Playing Dimension" is there any way to implement this in BOBJ with out aliases.

Thanks,

Raja

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why don't you want to use aliases? This is the correct way of implementing the logic that you want.

There's nothing to say that you have to create objects for every column from every alias but it beats using multiple calculated columns and will allow you to use prompt functionality with predefinied conditions at the universe level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As Mark suggested earlier as well you should be using alias for role playing dimension in this case. Using a single dimension for each data key will create a bunch of issues when you selection more than 2 date fields like start and end date in the same query.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Mark, I have explored other options and concluded my original design(aliases) work better for my situation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you , Mishra.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

Instead to creating alias you can create multiple calculated columns on date field in universe or other BOBJ Reporting tools as well

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Ambreen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the response ,Ambreen.