Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI upgrade best practice

bruce2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a bug in our NWDI that would be fixed with a support stack upgrade. Currently we are on NWDI 7.31 SP7 and we would need to go to SP9.

In the past we have tried to keep all our landscape on the same patch level. This upgrade of the NWDI on its own would break the tradition. I read on SCN http://scn.sap.com/thread/1905986 that "There are no special considerations that need to be taken into account before doing NWDI upgrade. NWDI is just a framework. " but I am having trouble finding an SAP reference to validate the statement. Is there a best practice document or SAP help site that I can present to management stating the NWDI NetWeaver stack upgrade policy or best practice.

Bruce

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Bruce,

the most important fist rule is that the SP stack has to be consistent.

Even if NWDI is only a framework and any version can be used for any development, still the SP stack has to be consistent, so if you have a bug in your NWDI and so you have to go to SP9, then I'm afraid all the other 731 SCAs has to be raised to SP9 in order to keep the consistency, else you might face malfunctions.

If your management requires a statement that NWDI (and here I mean the SCAs DI_*) can have any version then you can show this blog you might already know (http://scn.sap.com/people/marion.schlotte/blog/2005/10/25/jdi-software-vs-jdi-content)  but it does not meant that we can recommend breaking the rule regarding the SP stack consistency, meaning SAP cannot give any statement to raise SPs separately (raising patch levels is different that can be done separately, even rollback is possible but this does not apply for SP versions).

SPs can be raised only for the entire SP stack (for SCs which have the same release, e.g. 731 -- Other SCs which have other release numbers and so different versioning rules like MDM SCs for instance, there this rule does not matter).

Best Regards,

Ervin

Answers (0)