cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade roadmap for MSSQL Server from 2005 to 2008

0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am planning to upgrade our MSSQL Server from 2005 to 2008.

My SAP application is ECC 5.0.We are also planning to upgrade ECC 5.0 to ECC 6.0 EHP6 post MSSQL Server upgrade.

I would like to know the best upgrade roadmap for the MSSQL Server upgrade.

We have another paralled H/W available .

This H/W is meant to copy the existing Production system to the parallel H/W and upgrade the MSSQL Server there in the paralled landscape.

Once the MSSQL Server is upgrade from 2005 to 2008 , we will then upgrade the ECC 5.0(NUC) to ECC 6 EHP6 in the parallel landscape .

I may please be guided.

I have some doubt in specific.

1)Can I upgrade MSSQL Server from 2005 to 2008 while system copying using Backup Restore method directly?(Assuming the SAP Version to be same for Source and Target Version and Source OS is MS Windows 2003 to Target OS MS Windows 2008 )

2)

Can I upgrade MSSQL Server from 2005 to 2008 while system copying using Attach / Detach Method directly?(Assuming the SAP Version to be same for Source and Target Version and Source OS is MS Windows 2003 to Target OS MS Windows 2008 )

OR

3)Do I need to perform system copy the SAP on MSSQL Server from 2005 to the parallel landscape and then upgrade the MSSQL Server from 2005 to 2008 there?

(Assuming the SAP Version to be same for Source and Target Version and Source OS is MS Windows 2003 to Target OS MS Windows 2008 )

4)I was going through the Upgrade and Installation of SQL 2008(R2).

One of the Prerequisite it says to

> use an SAP system based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3, SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP1 SR1, or SAP NetWeaver 7.1, and higher with the minimum recommended support package level for SQL Server 2008 (R2),but I have ECC 5.0 in place.So is the upgrade from MSSQL 2005 to 2008 possible on ECC 5.0 or do i need to upgrade it to ECC 6.0 EHP6 first? What would be the SP level for ECC6.06 in that case?

5) As per  SAP Note 683447, there is restriction stated in the note 

"Perform a system copy using the detach/attach or backup/restore

method.

This only applies to SAP systems based on kernel 6.40 or lower. If

you have an SAP system based on kernel 7.0 or higher, you must

perform the system copy with SAPinst."

So does it mean if my kernel is greater the 6.40 release do i need to perform system copy using R3load method?

6)As per note 151603- Copying of SQL Server - This note speaks about SQL Server upgrade by appending the database to an SQL Server that has a higher version.

Do is this  procedure indicating about System Copy using Backup/restore Method OR Attach/Dettach method?

(Assuming the SAP Version to be same for Source and Target Version and Source OS is MS Windows 2003 to Target OS MS Windows 2008 )

7)Is SAP ECC 5.0(NUC) upgrade to SAP ECC 6.0 EHP6 (NUC) supported or do i need to perform Unicode Conversion and then upgrade?

Sincere Regards

Asad.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Dear All

Thanks  RB and Ram for your reply but i am not able to get answers to my queries in specific.

I would be kind enough if you can type two letter for each point in question.

Request you to clarify point not 5. as  I need to plan my activity and this point will help me guide the plan.So  replies on point 5 is requested on priority

5) As per  SAP Note 683447, there is restriction stated in the note 

"Perform a system copy using the detach/attach or backup/restore

method.

This only applies to SAP systems based on kernel 6.40 or lower. If

you have an SAP system based on kernel 7.0 or higher, you must

perform the system copy with SAPinst."

>> System Copy using sapinst

1) Does this note speaks about R3 Load based method?

2) or I can Use Backup Restore Method using sapinst with Kernel version above 6.40 for both Unicdoe and Non- Unicode System?

Best Regards

Asad

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

1) Does this note speaks about R3Load based method?

sapinst calls R3load but there is an option called "use database specific tools" where you restore the database using the database specific method.

2) or I can Use Backup Restore Method using sapinst with Kernel version above 6.40 for both Unicdoe and Non- Unicode System?

You may read these links to clarify your doubts.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/lobapps/archive/2010/09/29/upgrading-your-sap-databases-to-sql-server-200...

http://mattabase.com/archives/12

Regards

RB

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos