cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No P4 connection could be established

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, all

I have just updated the solman 7.1 to SP8 and really struggled with task that used to be "easy" in SP7. I am on the managed system step 6 - "create user" when trying to hook up the PI 7.3.1 server(java only) to solman. The users are created properly.

However, it is giving me the following error at the bottom:

--------------

No P4 connection could be established to DPI

No configuration found for key (DPI/sapj2ee/msgserver/host). DETECTED Self-managing scenario. You need to first adapt the connectivity of Diagnostics Agent used for the Managed system DPI, before you could proceed with this setup. Therefore change the Agent connection type for the DPI relevant Diagnostics Agent to P4 Dispatcher, before you run again this setup. This connection update has to be performed in the Agent Administration under Agent Connectivity. You could access the Agent Administration from the Root Cause Analysis Work Center when logged as Solution Manager Administrator.

--------------

Below is step 3 when I configure the connection to the managed system. The user logon and URL checks were successful.

Finally, I have already changed the SMD connection method to the P4 dispatcher. I am running out of ideas what this bloody software really wants. Please help.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Billy

Thanks. Yes, I did have the SPML role was assigned to both the solman_admin user in step 4 and the sm_coll_sm7 that I assigned manually.

Anyways, the issue was finally "fixed". When I chose "create new user" in the dropdown, the user was never created properly in step 6 of the solman_setup. The user itself was created, but none of the roles were actually assigned. So I ended up blowing away the user and created it directly inside the managed PI system. Then go back to step 6 and do a "provide existing user". After that runs, go back to step 7 and rerun the "web services logical port creation". Then things turn "green" again.

By the way, none of the other options like assigning roles and providing password in step 6 work properly. This step used to be easy when we were on SP7. However, we had a lot of other little problems on SP7, especially with the PIMON.

Regards,

Jonathan.

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can confirm that the Java system managed setup has always been wonky for me also, I just got into the habit of always making the IDs I needed manually, SPML them up, proceed on maintaining the landscape information, manage the system...I have also seen odd occurrences that I have had to update roles on a refreshed system that has the correct username/pw combo, but SolMan refused to give a green light until authorizations were updated.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jonathan,

Maybe this note

1678469 - Create Users step fails with "Connection to P4 port of managed system failed"

you are looking for ?

BR,

K.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Kamil.

Not exactly ... the screen in the oss note works fine.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Billy

I assigned the SPML access(it's a custom role as I have not found a standard role that gives SPML access) to the sm_coll_sm7 user that solman_setup creates. Actually I also manually assigned all the roles that solman_setup missed. But after I tried to run the actions "update password" and "update authorization of existing users", they both failed. So I ended up doing everything manually in the PI server. But I didn't need to assign the SPML access after I create the user manually.

Is that what happened in your environment? I have been working on solman for a while and it has never been a pleasant experience.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My example is typically for ABAP systems, and I assign the SPML in case additional IDs one day have to be created.  I have some new systems that I am setting up, I will try to remember and post back my results.

1 ABAP only stack

1 Java only stack

1 Dual stack (PI 7.11)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Jansi and Rishi

Thank you for you feedback. As I mentioned earlier, the agent is already registered to the P4 port. What I found is that the user SM_COLL_SM7(SM7 is the solman sid) keeps getting password locked.

So I dropped the user in the PI system, which is NW7.3.1 SP7 by the way, I create it again. The user is created without the java roles. I manually assign the java roles. Now when I click test connection a few times, the user is locked with password locked status. That means the agent is trying to connect with a wrong password.

How do you create the user? According to the help section, it says "The passwords for system users need not be maintained manually". But when you select the action "create user", you have to put in a password though. There is no option called "Create New User With Generated Password" like the help section claims. So how does solman remember the password of SM_COLL_SM7?

Please advise. This solution manager product never ceases to amaze me with its horrible design and awful bugs since its initial release.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you create the additional SPML role on the Java stack side and add it to the SM_COLL ID?

I have never had a SolMan system remember a password after I changed it for a managed system setup. 

When you upgraded from SP07 to SP08 was that just the ABAP side of SolMan or did you also update the Java side?

And just for grins can you screenshot the SMD Admin UI page that shows the P4 connection for this PI system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

try to register your DIA agent wit P4 port as mentioned below

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SMSETUP/Diagnostics+Agents

Thanks

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please check that you can see the P4 port .

• Solution Manager P4 port:  Enter in the following URL: http://<solmal_msg_server_host>:<j2ee_msg_server_http_port>/msgserver/text/logon

What is your kernel in solman and PI.

Thanks

RishI abrol