cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zebra Printer Set up Issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I am facing an issue while setting up the Zebra Printer. I have set it up with the Spool access Method as 'S' and the Device type as LB_ZEB2. We have connected the printer via USB to a local windows desktop and have installed the device driver in the desktop. However when I try to do a print it gives an error saying ' Unable to reach remote host spool system '. in SP01 the error is as follows ' Printer not accessible'. If I change the Access method to 'L' it gives me the error message as below;

Message from host spool:
  /usr/bin/lpr: The printer or class was not found.
End of message

Errors occurred processing this print request

Request you to advise accordingly. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Surajit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I resolved the issue. There were three main areas where I needed to make a change.

1. First there are two different ways of setting up Zebra printers depending on whether you are using a SMARTform or SAPScript. Depending on which method you use, you need to set up and install the device types and device drivers. The Device type also depends on the Zebra printer model.

We are using SMartforms and hence I downloaded the device types and drivers for my particulaar printer type from Zebra.

2. Install the device driver.

3. Set up the Printer type by importing the .PRI files and chosing my printer type in SPAD.

4. Checked the label size and adjusted the smartform design.

Tried the print and it worked.

Thanks to everybody who replied, specially to Billy whose inputs were quite helpful.

Regards

Surajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please follow this note for frontend printing issue.

Note 821519 - Front-end printing with control technology.

and other related note for your support.

1149136 - Options for front-end printing (access method G)

1115794 - Dump when printing in frontend with six modes opened

938965 - Printer checkbox can be deactivated with access method "G"

901244 - Front-end printing w/access method 'G' from update process

894444 - Tool for server-based printing on Windows (SAPSprint)

868913 - Functional changes during front-end printing with controls

854044 - Front-end printing with control technology does not work

542498 - Crashes/timeouts in front-end printing w/ access method 'F'

150533 - Printing in Windows Terminal Server (WTS)

128105 - Front-end printing (collective note)

25344 - Interface SAPSprint (SAPFprint) Barcode DLL (details)

BR,

Prabhakar

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Prabhakar, this is not a front end printing issue.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As @Nayeem pointed out, you should try setting up the printer as method C; I currently have 30 or so Zebra printers setup this way using a custom device type based off of LB_ZEB2.

Also ensure that the windows system has shared the printer and that you have SAPSprint installed on that Windows system (if you have not heard of SAPSprint, search the there is a document that shows a step by step with screenshots of how to get it working).

Below is an example of how it needs to look, the host printer needs to be the Windows share, the hostname is the hostname of the SAP system that is hosting the SAP printer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Billy,

Many Thanks for your reply. I installed SAPSprint on the windows machine where the printer is connected. I shared the Zebra printer in the windows machine and changed the access method to C in SPAD. However now the error message in SP01 reads as " Waiting - Internal error when printing " . The screesn is as below;

Will wait for your suggestions,

Thanks

Surajit

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you see the Windows print que having a spool entry now?

Also is DINA3 a support format for the zebra printer?

How did you generate the output?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Billy,

Thank you for your fast response. The developer team is generating the print using MB03. I am not sure of the DINA3 format.

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you see a spool entry on the Windows system for that DINA3 test?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No I dont see any entry in the WIndows system.

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What does your SAPSprint log show the issue as?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure Billy as to how to check the SAPSprint log.Can you guide me here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I checked the SAPSprint logs and it shows me as Error while printing. RC 4

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Has the SP01 error changed from Request on hold to something else?

Also does the label look correct if you print preview it from SP01?  Also keep in mind that if it trying to use a DINA format for the page, this could be why the Zebra/Windows side is reject the print as the page dimensions are possibly too large for the Zebra output.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have dealt with this printers for a while and the best is to use Zebra's own SAP device drivers rather than the SAP standard ones.

Read,

Note 1173046 - Printer Vendor Wizard Note: Zebra

Also,
http://www.zebra.com/id/zebra/na/en/documentlibrary/misc/sap_smartforms_technical.File.tmp/SAP_Smart...

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Billy,

Print preview is coming up but we also have realised that the size may be too large. Also I believe we need to use Bar One code for creating the ITF files. The developer team was using a different format.

Thanks,

Surajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you connect the printer localy then it will be local printer.

Try with method L and it should local printer. SPAD should pop theup and print.

If not your printer is not installed properly. Check your SPAD installation in SAP GUI.

BR,

Prabhakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Surajit,

Below links & sap notes will be useful for your configuation::

http://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra/product-information/en-us/brochures-datasheets/sap/sap-smartf...

You  can check this note 1173046 and Zebra printer device types are   available from the below site

http://www.zebra.com/id/zebra/na/en/index/about_zebra/alliances/strategic_alliances/erp/sapsmartform...

Further check the below SAP notes too::

Note 190218 - Linux: Print output from R/3 (acc. method L)

Note 15355 - Command line parameter for access type L

Regards

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Surajit,

Please try access method C, if this option does not work

Then please try to use SWIN as the device type and check whether it is working and ensure that the printer name in SPAD and OS level are same.

Also, please check the following thread

http://scn.sap.com/message/14074489

Thanks

Adil

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SWIN as a device type is not an ideal situation, your development team may need to have special functions setup on a device type; think of a check printer referencing MICR commands for special fonts and a signature in secure storage.