cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Warehouse to Plant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Folks,

We have a couple of warehouses assigned different plants. Now business is going through an idea to transform these warehouses to plants. I have worked on roll-outs previously but this is totally a new scenario and project for me to work on. I need some inputs on how do I initiate the Project to transform each warehouse into its own plant.

One of those warehouses has a huge volume of materials and is mostly the source of supply for all the plants and stores in the entire system(We are a railroad corporation).

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member220529
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

migrating warehouse to plants basically means transfer the stock from a storage location managed with WM to another storage location not managed in WM.

There are several ways to do this, but what you can do is to move all the stock to an interim area (ex. 921 TRASNFER in the standard) and then make a movement 311 to change to the new storage location. The stock will be removed from warehouse.

After doing this you can unassign the warehouse from the storage location and move the stock back to the old storage location (in this way you don't have to modify all the master data)

NOTE: the movement 311 is ok if you move the stock between storage location belonging to the same plant. If the plant changes you should use other movement (ex. 301)

Hope this will be helpful for you

Kind regards

Claudio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Claudio,

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your input. You are right, But the case we are trying to solve is a bit different than others I have worked before. This complete warehouse wants to be transformed into a plant and Storage Location by itself. Also, since this warehouse is a source of supply for many other plants and Storage Locations, do I have to take outage for a new plant to be functional in the place of warehouse? Also, I need a Stock removal and placement Strategy which business wants to know in detail. Do you think I Can do 301 movement type for all the Stocks that are in warehouse to be moved to new plant and Storage Location(I can write some LSMW or BDC for this right!).

Also, there are issues like what about PO's , PR's, Shopping carts(SRM), Service Entry Sheets, and all others for this Warehouse managed Store that you might think of needs to be updated or closed or paused to change them, anything that sits on the edge for business that makes them rethink about the project!

former_member220529
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Changing to a new plant/storage locations it is not really a joke...

I mean that you will have to mantain all the master data at plant level (first of all the material master data), the existing documents must be changed or recreated in order to consider the new plant...and so all plant-related settings in customizing, ecc

So if you can keep the new storage location under the same plant it is much better...

Can you please post a draft of the company structure "AS IS" and "TO BE"?

Thanx

Claudio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I totally understand that I have worked on Customzing SAP for new plants just a month ago at the same client for Adding to new plants where in the scenario is totally different for this transformation. I am pretty comfortable in configurations, the only things that bother me or my client is about the data volume we need to handle and how are we going to handle it. I know its going to take a lot of time but then I need a "Perfect Plan" to work on it. Moving the material out of existing warehouse to new plant and store which we discussed as doing STO's through LSMW or BDC. I need a list of scenarios where we might feel like someone has to concentrate a lot more than what we are doing today. Regarding the Company Structure I am waiting on the business to send it over to me.

Thanks

Krishna.

Answers (0)