cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration - Update kernel tools

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have been reading documents about SAP migrations (Database Independent System Copy - R3Load) to SQL Server. One thing I can't understand from the different documentation:

Some notes refer that I must update the kernel tools (R3Load, R3ta, Database libraries, R3ldctld). I can do this easily on the source system.

Other notes refer that I must use the same version of these tools on both the source and the target system.

I cannot update the tools on the target system, because I have to use the versions of the kernel installer.

What should I do, update on the source system and use the installer versions on the target system? Other recommendations? Any documentation to help on this question (already read all the notes I could find)?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

You should use latest kernel tools (R3Load, R3ta, Database libraries, R3ldctld) for your kernel version.

3. Question: Which tools are used during a migration on source and target systems?

Answer: The main programs used for the migration are - depending  on the kernel release 'R3SETUP' or 'sapinst'. When working, they call  some other programs for particular purposes: R3LOAD, R3LDCTL, R3SZCHK.  There are also several command files or, in another words, installation templates, that have the extension R3S (R3SETUP) or xml (sapinst).For the kernel-tools used during a migration some rules should be followed:

a) Tools used at the export on the source system must have the same  version as on the target system.

b) Tools used must all have the same kernel-version. (do not mix up kernel-tools of different releases)

c) Tools must have the same kernel release as the system which is  migrated.

https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap%28bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==%29/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=547314

Now for your question :

I cannot update the tools on the target system, because I have to use the versions of the kernel installer. What should I do, update on the source system and use the installer versions on the target system? Other recommendations? Any documentation to help on this question (already read all the notes I could find)?

>> You can still update these tools on target system.

Option1 :You can first let system install and after this when Kernel files have been extracted, you can replace these tools.. like while it is installing database/adding data files or any other phase is running before R3load Import starts.

Option 2: You can first download Kernel .SAR files and extract it to any directory. In this directory, you can replace these tools.. e.g. R3LOAD files and and then  make a .SAR files again with same name. Now use this .SAR file as Kernel.

best regards

ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply ashish vikas.

I thought about option 2, but wasn't sure this is recommendable. I guess i would prefer it to option 1, because i can control it better.

Definitely will award points, let's just see if anyone adds anything

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro,

I've used option1 in my earlier migrations.. that works fine.

Just wanted to clarify on point 2 :

If you have Kernel DVDs, you can also replace R3* files there before Kernel extraction and that should also work.(In my last reply, i have wrongly mention about trick i use for upgrade for replacing R3TRANS & tp in .SAR file .. for installation you just need to replace files in correct path)

best regards

ashish

AtulKumarJain
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro,

Option 1 is preferable and it is used most time.

so you can go ahead with option 1.

BR

Atul

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very helpfull, problem resolved.

Thanks all

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,,

Go for option 2, this makes work easy.

When all the DVD are in place.

Regards,

Prabhakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

this is easy - replace mentioned files after downloading dvds' on target server.

Regards

M.