Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No printers found in the host system

former_member323997
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using Adobe Printing in ME 6.0 but receive the error message "No printers found in the host system", I checked the how-to-setup guide and the 4.2.5 Printer Setup using NetWeaver starting user section is confusing me. Let me explain my situation:

1. We installed the NetWeaver for ME on the Linux based server, i call it Linux1;

2. We have another Windows 2008 based abd installed the driver and Adobe LiveCycle Designer, I call it win2008.

In win2008 I created two share folders, one is named temp and another is named templates, and then i created a user in this server named adobeshare, and have the Linux1 remote access to those two share folders with written permissions. And the in the System Rule maintenance, the path for  temp and templates are configured on the Linux1 share folders pointing to wind2008.

And I finished the setup of printing in ME side, and tried a printing, but receive the above error. I checked in the share folder temp @ win2008, the meData.xml file is generated, but it seems the user for Adobe printing has not access to ask for printing.

Can you please guide me how it should be configured rightly with such remote printer server case? I appreciate your quick response because we need this in next day.

Best regards,

Leon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member600928
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Leon,

The following two conditions should be provided to have a network printer available for ME ADS printing:
- the printer has to be registered (printer drivers installed) in the system where ME application is runnung, which is I guess your system "Linux1".
You can check this condition by printing from outside ME application. E.g. can you print something to the required printer from Adobe Reader from "Linux1" system?

- the user used to start SAP Netweaver service in "Linux1" must have access to network resources in order to access the network printer. Please ask you system administrator to grant the access in your network.

As an option you may isntall CUPS utility in your system "Linux" wich will behave as a local printer and will redirect printer jobs to the real printer device.

Shared folders defined in the system rules don't matter for this particular issue as well as remote ADS configuration which is possible in principle but doesn't matter here because ADS is used to generate printing output but it's not responsible to send it to a printer. ME application sends the generated document directly to the printer using standard Java Print Service API. So if you have error "no printers found" it means that your ADS configuration has already worked out successfully, the error comes from ME itself

Regards,

Konstantin Kireyev

SAP ME Development

former_member323997
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Konstantin,

I tried the way to create the "local printer" and get it remotely access to the real printer which is configured in Windows 2008. And then I used the vsradm (VSR is our NW user) to login into Linux and tested the printing, it succeeded, see bellow screenshot:

And then I tested the SAP ME printing on POD, but still received the same error message.  The user vsradm is the one I used for starting the SCS and JC instances. So the permission for this user seems to be able to have the printer access, but I don't understand why it is receiving the same error message. Any further instructions?

Thanks a lot for your support.

best regards,

Leon

former_member323997
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Konstantin,

Issue has been resolved, the way you commented should be the right way. My last error was due to our Netweaver cluster problem. I created the "local printer" to the Linux which only hosts the SCS instance, but your commented mentioned SAP ME uses the normal Java API to send the printing job, therefore I realized we should create this "local printer" onto the Linux which hosts the Java instance, and now it looks the printing job is sent to the network printer configured in Windows 2008.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Best regards,

Leon

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member182330
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Leon,

You should have printer set up in Linux1 with the same name used in ME Printer Maintenance.

Br,

Konstantin

former_member323997
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Konstantin,

Does that mean the SAP ME ADS printing not support the remote printer server? We are using the Linux as ME NetWeaver, so we have to find the printer driver with Linux version?

And also, I forgot to mention, in the win2008, I also installed NetWeaver 7.3 with ADS full configurations. So the final configuration I did is, in ME NetWeaver, the ConfigPort_Document URL is the URL from ADS NetWeaver in wind2008. Would this work in principle?

thanks a lot and best regards,

Leon

0 Kudos

Hi Leon,

The error indicates misconfiguration on OS level. I would suggest that you check ME Troubleshooting guide. It illustrate steps for Windows, you will have to do similar thing in Linux.

Br, Alex.

former_member323997
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Does that mean the SAP ME ADS printing not support the remote printer server? We are using the Linux as ME NetWeaver, so we have to find the printer driver with Linux version?

And also, I forgot to mention, in the win2008, I also installed NetWeaver 7.3 with ADS full configurations. So the final configuration I did is, in ME NetWeaver, the ConfigPort_Document URL is the URL from ADS NetWeaver in wind2008. Would this work in principle?

thanks a lot and best regards,

Leon