cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update rule mapping

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus -

I have 2 different infopacks running from an Infosource to Data target (Infocube). Both infopacks had the below update rule mapping for key figures for different time frames:

KF1--->KF1 (0 to 6 months)

KF1--->KF1 (7 to 12 months)

I need to change one of them to KF2---> KF1, but the problem is when I change one, even the other one changes. Can you please let me know how to avoid this. Appreciate your help!

Thanks

Varun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

The question is a little confusing. Are you mapping the KF1->KF1 (0 to 6 months) and KF1->KF1 (7 to 12 months) in two different update rules? Ofcourse you cannot map any object twice in the same update rule. Now, as far as I understand, you are trying to replace KF1, lets say in first set of update rules, thne you are saying that the second set of update rules are also getting changed? That shouldnot happen.

Do you have KF2 in the datasource and KF1 in infocube?

I would be able to help you if you can give me a better picture of the problem.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your replies. I apologize for not being very clear. Here is the flow:

I have 1 Datasource, 1 Infosource and 1 data target and 1 update rule.But 2 different infopacks loading data for different time frames. So, the reason why the KF mapping of update rule changed for both data loads when I changed one is because It was the same update rule.

What I need now is for data load 1: map KF1--->KF1 but

for data load 2: map KF2-->KF1

Since I already have an update rule from the infosource to data target, I cannot create another one with different mapping. Is this doable?

Thanks for all your help!

Varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Varun,

First of all, update rules are only between Target and Infosource. You cannot create two update rules between one Infosource and one data target. All you can do is include the object KF2 in the infosource and write a simple routine for KF1 mapping in the update rules saying that for for this time period (0-6 months) result = KF1 and for the next 6 months result = KF2. You also need to have a time characteristic in the infosource to use int he routine.

Also having two infopacks with the same selection does the same job as having one infopack with the selection. All the infopack does is to just make a pull request to the source. Your connection is the same and how can you call differenlty?

Finally solution I would say is:

Have 1 target, 1 infosource, 1 datasource and 1 info pack

Include KF1, KF2 and a time characteristic in Infsource.

In update rules include a routine for KF1 to take KF1 in first 6 months and Kf2 in next 6 months.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Visu -

I will go the routine in the update rule route!

The reason for having multiple infopacks with same selection is "performance" and they can run in parallel within a process chain because of high data volumes.

thanks

Varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Varun,

Going with routine is the best way. Having two info packs for "performance"? Is this a good idea? If you are having the same target loading from two different packages and if the "automatic activation" is checkedin, you will have a big headache with data inconsistency and dumps.DONOT do that. Just use one and you should be fine. However, I don't know your scenario! I wouldn't recommend in ance case actually. This is turning out tobe a BW post!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Varun,

If I understand your environment correctly, this is how your data flow is configured:

1) You have 1 InfoSource which is connected to 1 Data Target (and thus 1 update rule only)

2) You have 2 InfoPackages that are "connected" to your InfoSource.

3) You have 2 DataSources (1 for 0-6 months, 1 for 7-12 months)

Your problem is: You need to map KF2->KF1 in one of these loads.

The solution is to change one of the transfer rules. For example, you can change the transfer rule which maps the datasource w/c provides the 0-6 months data. You can map KF2 to load to KF1 there.

If you change your update rule (the one which maps the InfoSource to your target), then it will really "change" both loads. However, if you change your transfer rule, then the change will be specific to its DataSource

Hope this helps!