cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP on windows failover testing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have just installed SAP ERP 6.0 on windows server 2008 R2 failover cluster using swpm.

1st Node:-

ASCS using virtual hostname

ERS on local drive

DB on cluster disk

CI on local drive

2nd Node

ERS on local drive

DI on local drive

CI and DI number is same

created logon group including ci and di

Loging on to sap through logon group created, Now testing the failover by

shutting down 1st Node, user session is getting killed and he is able to logon again but current session is getting killed.

I don't want current session of user to be killed

Kindly advice if I have done something wrong where I have went wrong or Do i need to do anything else.

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

achmad_dimyati5
Participant
0 Kudos

These are actually you should get from HA configuration of SAP Netweaver ABAP (ERP 6.0 is part of it).

In situation of Node 1 down (loss ASCS, DB and CI):

- Any users login to CI will be disconnected (no more SAPGUI screen & user sessions)

- Any users login to DI (node 2) will be hang (waiting for availability of DB & ASCS)

Once ASCS & DB have been started again (failover) to node 2 under expected amount of time (there are timeout for ASCS and DB failover) and successful attach the enqueue entries from ERS in the node 2 (if failed will be different situation) then the users in DI ONLY will be continue working without any issues (after successful DB reconnect event).

So:

- Users who have login to CI, must login again (you have configured your SAPGUI entries with Logon load balancing setting). These users will get NEW session.

- If the failover of ASCS and DB have exceeded maximum allowable failover time. The DI system will be down too and all users in DI will be disconnected. In this situation you need to cleanup the application then start the application server manually. In worst situation, you need to restart the ASCS and application instance manually.

- If the failover of ASCS has failed to attach the enqueue entries from ERS, then you will get the same situation. You need to restart the DI and worst situation you need to restart both (ASCS and DI).

Advise, don't put the failover resources on the same place. Usually the design is:

Node 1:

ASCS

ERS (only start when no ASCS)

CI

Node 2:

DB

ERS

DI

So in case of node 1 down, only ASCS will move to node 2 and vice versa.

Best Regards,

Achmad

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

This is not possible.

The user session will be terminated upon shutdown of the AS where the user is connected.

And as far as I know there is no concrete solution for this.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

would it work if i install ci on cluster disk and adding it in MSCS and installation with virtual ip and hostname.

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

In the event of an AS being shut down all the users connected to the AS will be terminated or disconnected from the system.

When they reconnect to the SAP system using a logon group then they will be sent to the available AS which is part of the logon group.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now testing the failover by shutting down 1st Node, user session is getting killed and he is able to logon again but current session is getting killed.

It's not possible with HA solutions. If the SAP NetWeaver AS dialog instance (CI or AS) fails, the user is disconnected, loses all open transactions, and has to log on manually to another SAP NetWeaver AS instance running dialog work processes.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Balactia,

Could you set the SAP parameters for DB reconnect as mentioned in the help link below

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/08/5744914ae611d1894f0000e829fbbd/content.htm

Take a application restart once you set these parameters and later check the results.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori